FS: 1971 Sourpuss 13 $11,500 in Montana

For Boston Whaler boats or related gear
thekpdmt

FS: 1971 Sourpuss 13 $11,500 in Montana

Postby thekpdmt » Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:34 pm

For-sale: a 1971 SOURPUSS 13 boat with 1992 Yamaha 40-HP engine on a trailer in Kalispell, Montana for $11,500.

image1.jpeg
Fig. 1.
image1.jpeg (40.42 KiB) Viewed 2148 times

image2.jpeg
Fig. 2.
image2.jpeg (43.17 KiB) Viewed 2148 times

Request a full set of detailed images from me via email.

Original Boat Parts
• Mahogany wood interior
• Interior gel coat
• Hull gel coat
• Rubrail
• Rubrail insert
• Running lights
• Running lights terminal block
• Ritchie compass with working backlight
• Speed & RPM gauges (not sure if they work, speedo has a broken lens)
• Interior hardware (a few screws replaced over the years with correct replacement parts)
• Exterior hardware (original pulley bolts, rear rubrail screws)
• Original Stanchions (brackets) for rear running light replaced with aftermarket ones - broken original and non broken one included

• Running light bulbs, compass light bulb are all brand new

Brand New Trailer Items
For the original Gator Trailer, Winch, and Brackets
• Rims
• Tires
• Brake Lights
• Running lights
• Axle
• Poly Rollers
• Safety Chains
• Bracket Hardware
• Roller Hardware
• Winch Strap & Safety Chain

Recent work on engine
• Spark plugs
• Thermostat
• Impeller
• Oil injection system torn down, cleaned, re-assembled & filled with Yamalube
• Lower Unit Gear lube• Battery
• Battery box
• Gas tank
• Gas line & primer bulb

BACKSTORY
My father purchased this SOURPUSS 13 in the summer of 1972 from the original owner in Maryland. It was in showroom floor condition as the gentlemen seemingly never used it and just stored and covered it. He decided he wanted a larger boat.

Our family used the boat in the Chesapeake Bay in the early 1970's fishing and crabbing, but only a few times a year as we lived a typical suburban life back then. The boat sat covered under a covered garage for years until someone stole the original Evinrude 25HP outboard off it by cutting the original pulley steering cables and unscrewing the mounting screws on the motor.

In 1992 it was given to me by my father as a gift. I completely re-did the boat and trailer, including the mahogany interior with spar varnish as well as re-painting the trailer and installing new rims and tires. A new 1992 Yamaha 40HP outboard was installed by Washington Marina in Washington, D.C., and, at the time, they decided to replace the plastic steering wheel with the stainless one currently installed. These are both currently on the boat. I have the original steering wheel as well if you're interested along with the original pulley wheels for the original steering cables.

I used the boat for fishing and joy riding only in fresh water for the first few years, then I moved to Montana, and the boat was transported here inside a large box truck. I ran it on Flathead Lake and many other small lakes for years before I eventually I purchased a bass boat. Since then she has sat for the most part parked inside my garage.

Several years ago, the trailer was completely torn down to the bare metal and disassembled, it was then re-assembled, sealed with primer and tough coated (like a very hard, rough, Rhino Liner coating). The brackets and leaf springs were painted black and the trailer was then painted white. The finish is very tough and will withstand many years of use before needing any attention. The rubber bushings in the leaf springs were also replaced. It has been unused ever since.

I have completely gone through the entire boat. It was completely re-wired and thoroughly cleaned. It currently has transducers installed for Lowrance HDS depth finders and includes a Lowrance HDS 5 with the side scan imaging module. I have not installed the head unit yet as the new owner may want to use a different set of electronics but will finish the install if the purchaser so desires.

The Yamaha outboard is very clean and is a solid running motor.

This is an unusual version of the Boston Whaler 13. It seems to be mostly a SOURPUSS, which are very rare, but this boat is missing the rear seat mahogany back rest and side rails. Perhaps it was a special order. Everything else is like the Sourpuss model including the center mount steering wheel and side panel for the gauges. The original paper work also includes the Sourpuss layout diagram from Boston Whaler.

I have no idea if the gauges were an original option or if they were installed by the original purchaser before my father bought the boat. The running lights switch in the center of the gauges was installed when I re-did the boat in the 1990's, is not original, and is currently not wired. All the wiring now runs through a small Cabela's switch panel next to the instrument panel.

I have the original paperwork, receipts for the engine and installation, warranty card for the engine, factory diagrams, and the original manual for the 1992 Yamaha outboard.

This boat has numerous bumps, bruises and character marks, it is by no means flawless. That said, it is one of the cleanest, original Whalers out there of this age.

This boat has seen it all. There have been literally thousands of fish caught from this boat. This boat has saved my life—twice. This boat is everything a Boston Whaler should be— the unsinkable legend.

The time has come to let someone else enjoy this boat, whether as a boating enthusiast or collector, and this boat will not disappoint.

Please feel free to email me with questions and or offers, there's a ton of info on the internet about these boats so also feel free to research anything about the boat.

jimh

Re: FS: 1971 Sourpuss 13 $11,500 in Montana

Postby jimh » Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:05 pm

In a very recent post in THE GAM you were talking about this boat as if it were owned by someone else.

Compare at: https://continuouswave.com/forum/viewto ... f=4&t=7833

Did you just buy this boat and are now selling it?