Page 1 of 1
Inspecting a 1987 OUTRAGE Outrage 20 for purchase
Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2026 10:30 pm
by cjweinhe
GIve me advice for how to visually inspect a 1987 OUTRAGE 20 that I am considering buying.
Q1: how can problems with [the below-deck] fuel tank be detected without needing to remove the center console and the cockpit deck of a 1987 OUTRAGE 20 [for inspection]?
BACKSTORY
I'm fairly new to boating, but have been reading a lot about boats. I came a across a 1987 OUTRAGE 20. I'm excited to potentially own a Boston Whaler. I've been reading about this boat. A bad fuel tank is the likely the most expensive problemI might be buying with this boat. I've started a conversion with the seller, but haven't got much further than that. I plan to use the boat for near-shore fishing off the Oregon coast on relatively calm days.
--Corey
Re: Inspecting a 1987 OUTRAGE Outrage 20 for purchase
Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2026 5:49 am
by jimh
For general advice when considering buying a classic-era Boston Whaler boat, see the article in the REFERENCE section at
Buying Classic Boston Whaler Boatshttps://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/buying.html
Re: Inspecting a 1987 OUTRAGE Outrage 20 for purchase
Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2026 5:56 am
by jimh
There is proper concern about the integrity of a below-deck aluminum fuel tank on an older Boston Whaler boat. Generally those boats have a clear, 6-inch, circular, pry-out access plate in the cockpit deck which is located above the fuel tank level gauge. Removing the clear access plate will allow visual inspection of the fuel tank top aluminum surface in that area. Some inference can be made about the general condition of the fuel tank by this limited visual inspection.
Generally if a gasoline fuel tank has a leak there will be a detectable odor of gasoline. Again, using the clear access plate, you can use your nose to test for the presence of gasoline odor.
Also, there are usually two or more additional deck access plates that will provide more access to the fuel tank, usually at the area where the rubber fill tube attaches to the fill-fitting on the tank, typically in the forward part of the tank, and another in the aft end of the tank where the fuel hoses to the engine attach to the fuel tank fittings.
While there could be a serious defect in an older aluminum fuel tank, it is also possible that if the boat has received excellent care the fuel tank could be in like-new condition. Often when buying an older Boston Whaler boat, you need to have some confidence in the integrity of the seller to properly represent the boat and any important defects it might be harboring.
Re: Inspecting a 1987 OUTRAGE Outrage 20 for purchase
Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2026 6:04 am
by jimh
The model year 1987 may be on the cusp of a significant change in the hull of a boat described as an "Outrage 20."
The initial model OUTRAGE 20 was generally known as the OUTRAGE V-20, and it was much different hull from another OUTRAGE 20 boat made in c.1988.
There is a detailed REFERENCE Article on the OUTRAGE V-20 at
https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/V20Outrage/The c.1988 and new OUTRAGE 20 is a different hull. See the dimension and differences at
WHALER HULLS 20-23 FEET WITH INTEGRAL FUEL SYSTEM
https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/specifications.html#hulls20-22
Re: Inspecting a 1987 OUTRAGE Outrage 20 for purchase
Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2026 11:00 am
by Jefecinco
If I was buying a vintage 1987 boat with an aluminum fuel tank I would assume the tank is near the end of it's usable life. Based on that I would negotiate a selling price that considers the need to replace the fuel tank even if it is currently leak free.