Evaluating Transom on 1989 Revenge 22

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
wallymotor

Evaluating Transom on 1989 Revenge 22

Postby wallymotor » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:07 am

Hey all--I am looking for help in evaluating a Revenge transom,using something other than a moisture meter. I am lusting after this boat but want to make a logical not emotional decision. I was looking for Revenge 25, but I found a nice REvenge 22 from 1989. We have agreed on a price and I will have a sea trial this Saturday. Has anyone tilted the motor up and tried to flex a transom prior to purchase? Any other inspection I can do? Anything to look for during the sea trial?

Here is what I have done: I've been over the whole hull with a moisture meter and the topsides read 5-10%. Most of the bottom reads 15-17%. Some areas within six inches of the thru hulls read as high as 25%. I sounded the hull and found no delamination.

The transom itself reads from 16% around the drain plug and up to 24% near the top--which is counterintuitive. There are two small areas that read wet at more than 30%, one around an engine bolt and the other at very corner topmost starboard side. Visually all looks good. There are no cracks or crazing in the transom. Only negative visual is a slight depression around one motor mount bolt on the inside face, like it was over tightened. The motor is a 1998 Mercury 225 OFFSHORE.

I find the readings acceptable because I restored a 1965 Nauset years ago and have used the boat hard ever since. I discovered moisture meters AFTER the restoration and found the hull read high moisture 25% to wet, especially the transom. Yet I've never had any transom problems. That boat does 30-MPH with a 70-HP engine. When I redid all the drain plugs no water ran out. Also after my initial freakout, I started putting the meter on any Boston Whaler boat I could find, and most read high to wet, especially the transoms. After a while I stopped measuring and worrying about it, and just enjoyed the boat.

I've come to the conclusion the as long as there is no delamination or obvious break in the outer and inner glass skin, elevated moisture readings (other than soaked, i.e. 30% +) aren't necessarily a huge cause for concern. Anyone else have this experience or thoughts on moisture readings in older Boston Whaler boats.

Dutchman

Re: Evaluating Transom on 1989 Revenge 22

Postby Dutchman » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:47 pm

Sorry to say but those numbers sound high. Wikipedia says:

First, let's talk about the property of wood called Hygroscopy. Hygroscopy is the ability of a substance to attract and hold water molecules from the surrounding environment. This is achieved through either absorption or adsorption with the absorbing or adsorbing material becoming physically 'changed' somewhat, by an increase in volume, stickiness, or other physical characteristic of the material, as water molecules become 'suspended' between the material's molecules in the process.

Now mind you they mention wood but the last sentence says it all. If you can't have a 2x4 with over 19% what do you think is is happening behind that gel coat and fiberglass with numbers in the 20? [Moisture percentage of] 19% is mildew territory and 25% is wet, as you know. But if the boat sounds right, there is no delamination, and the price sounds right, the decision is up to you.

II don't know what the moisture content of a new, out-of-the-factory [Boston Whaler boat transom] is. Maybe it is in the 10% to 15% range, maybe somebody knows. I know 20% to 30% sounds high to me.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

jimh

Re: Evaluating Transom on 1989 Revenge 22

Postby jimh » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:18 pm

I cannot offer any advice based on the reading of a moisture meter. If the boat appears to be in good condition and the transom in particular has no visual or mechanical indications of softness or infiltration of water, I don't quite understand how you would interpret the moisture meter data.

If you cannot buy the boat without further assessment, ask the seller to drill a 0.25-inch hole in the transom below the water line to test for moisture and wood rot. In order to get the seller's cooperation, you may have to offer to pay for the repair of the hole if you decide not to buy the boat. If no water comes pouring out and the wood reinforcement appears to produce dry sawdust or wood fibers on the drill, you will have your answer.