Removing cuddy from a 27 footer

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
nes4pres

Removing cuddy from a 27 footer

Postby nes4pres » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:56 pm

Does taking the cuddy off a 1989 27-foot centre console boat weaken the integrity of the hull? I am interested in the 10-foot beam and getting rid of the cuddy. There are pics of members refurbishing 22-footers and removing the cuddy. Does anyone foresee problems with a this type of project?

jimh

Re: Removing cuddy from a 27 footer

Postby jimh » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:01 am

As far as I know, the hull of a 27-foot Boston Whaler boat was first molded and constructed without the cuddy cable top shell. Adding the top shell to the hull might have added some strength to the forward section of the boat, but I cannot see any reason why removing it would do anything but return the hull to its original construction, which was adequately strong without the top shell. However, here I am assuming that the construction of the 27 CENTER CONSOLE CUDDY was done in the same manner as the smaller hulls and their cuddy, which means the cuddy superstructure is just a top shell that is fastened onto the original hull.

ASIDE: why go to all that bother? I think the cuddy would be a great asset.