Mercury 1986 150-HP Outboard Restoration

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Gashole

Mercury 1986 150-HP Outboard Restoration

Postby Gashole » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:47 am

I have a 1986 Outrage 22 with twin Merc 150-HP engines. The engines have been running well, but are starting to have some recurring problems, mainly related to starters and old fuel lines.

I would like to estimate the restoration of the motors as I would like to retain OEM equipment, the boat is in good shape, and works well with these engines. The boats are mounted on the remote transom (Seadrive?).

Does anyone know of a New England and Midlantic shop who does these restorations?

If I am faced with repowering, I note that the weight of the new four stroke engines is much higher than the original mercs now on board. Someone has indicated the Evinrude models are lighter (Ficht). Comments on a good replacement would be much appreciated. I want back up power, and like the twins, but maybe it's more effective with a single 300.

Thanks for any advice.

pcrussell50

Re: Mercury Outboard Restoration 1986 150's

Postby pcrussell50 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:36 am

I have one of those Mercury 150's, a 1987, on a non-Whaler lightweight speedster. Word is, they are very robust, with little in the way of an "Achilles heel" except for some stories about engine failure if the plastic oil injection drive gear fails.

Recurring starter failure should not even be related to the need to "restore" a motor. More likely, you are buying rebuilt starters that were rebuilt on the cheap. Fuel lines are soft parts that will age and need replacing. The better quality materials will age more slowly, but aging fuel lines is still normal.

If it were I, out of financial pragmatism, and environmental stewardship, I would keep the older motors running until they develop a fatal condition like low compression, that only an overhaul would fix, then maybe consider something new. People's habit of replacing older motors because ancillary systems are failing, while the all-important rotating assembly is still perfectly healthy, is wasteful of both resources and money.

You are quite right to be concerned about the heavy weight of new motors. I also have a Four Stroke 90 Merc on a classic Montauk, and it's obscenely heavy. It weighs more than our two stroke 150's do. That hull was never designed to have a motor that heavy. I think our v150's weigh around 380 lbs. The lightest newer motor in that class that comes to mind is the Evinrude E-TEC, and it's 418 lbs. Not hugely heavier. E-TEC technology is very slick and neato, but it's also a good deal more expensive than Mercury's low emission fuel injected two strokes.

-Peter

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:46 pm

If that c.1986 Mercury 150 has their 2.5-liter 60-degree V6 block, then you have a great classic outboard. Keep it running.

When I switched to a modern outboard engine six years ago, I was paying about $5.50-per- gallon for gasoline fuel (on the water in remote areas, where I like to use my boat) and getting only 1-MPG in some situations (like going upwind into big head seas on a slow semi-plane).

Now I can buy most of my boat fuel on the highway and pay under $2-per-gallon ( by using credit card points ). The economics have really changed for recovering the expense of a re-power with a modern engine by savings in fuel purchases. I have enjoyed seven season of operating my Evinrude E-TEC, but at present day fuel costs it will never "pay for itself."

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:48 pm

Fuel lines from 1986 might not be rated for alcohol tolerance. Even if they were, 30-years is a long service life for a rubber component continually exposed to gasoline with ethanol.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:52 pm

The outboard engine bracket on a c.1986 Boston Whaler boat was a WHALER DRIVE.

pcrussell50

Postby pcrussell50 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:43 pm

jimh wrote:If that c.1986 Mercury 150 has their 2.5-liter 60-degree V6 block, then you have a great classic outboard. Keep it running.

My '87 150 is a 2.0L, 60 degree v-6. I'd bet the OP's'86 is, too. My factory service manual covers both 2.0L and 2.5L V6 motors so I'm guessing ythey are essentially the same series. I'm far from the expert on Mercury trivia, but I think the 2.0L's have ferrous cylinder sleeves which slows bore wear and has other positive implications for people who want to keep the motor in service for a long time. My understanding is, the 2.5's don't.

-Peter
Last edited by pcrussell50 on Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimh

Re: Mercury 1986 150-HP Outboard Restoration

Postby jimh » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:35 am

Evinrude no longer makes outboards with the FICHT injection technology. I think the last ones made were c.2003.