Shortening Remote Shift-Throttle Cables, Wiring Harness, Battery Cables

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Jefecinco

Shortening Remote Shift-Throttle Cables, Wiring Harness, Battery Cables

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:37 pm

On our Sport 13 boat with a modern four-stroke-power-cycle outboard engine with tilt and trim engine, [the existing remote throttle and shift cable and electrical wiring harness] are much too long. They are coiled in the rear of the boat behind and under the rear thwart.

Can the shift and throttle cables be shortened by an owner (with no previous expertise)?

Or, is it best to replace them with better fitting replacements?

The wiring harness is probably something which can be shortened, but I believe it has perhaps a dozen individual wires. I assume each wire would need to be re-terminated and some careful soldering will be needed. The only cables in the bundle currently in use are the ignition and tilt and trim cables, as the boat has no gauges installed. A cable bundle exits the binnacle with each cable terminated with a heat-to-seal butt connector with a nice little rubber plug inserted into the unused end of the connector. I assume the bundle is intended to send engine operating information to a gauge set.

The battery cables from the engine are also too long, but even I can shorten and re-terminate them--though I lack the crimping tool for the large connector.

I guess this mess came about when the boat was re-powered, but it is unsightly, takes up useful space. and is a bit of a trip hazard. I need to take care of this.
Butch

jimh

Re: Shortening Remote Shift-Throttle Cables, Wiring Harness, Battery Cables

Postby jimh » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:54 am

There is no known method of changing the length of a remote throttle or shift mechanical cable in the field. Your best--and probably only option--is to purchase new cables of the proper length. Note that the proper installation of remote throttle and shift cables usually has them making a 270-degree loop at the transom to the engine.

Regarding modification of electrical cables, please see my remarks in SMALL BOAT ELECTRICAL in reply to your comments.

Jefecinco

Re: Shortening Remote Shift-Throttle Cables, Wiring Harness, Battery Cables

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:02 am

Jim,

Thank you for the information and the excellent editorial work. I'm pleased to learn shortening the shift and throttle cables is not reasonably possible. Now all I need is to start reading about shift/throttle cables and shortening electrical cables.
Butch