Trailer Keel Roller and Bunk Height Adjustment

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
edphil2

Trailer Keel Roller and Bunk Height Adjustment

Postby edphil2 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:53 pm

I've almost refurbished my boat trailer, but I am a little concerned about the keel roller and bunk configuration. When I bought the trailer a month ago the rollers heights and bunk locations and heights just didn't look right. I read where the weight of the hull is to be supported on the keel (so roller height is important) and the bunks are mainly for stability. Is there any guidance on setting up rollers and bunks? Where they need to go? I've included a pic of where I am right now on the trailer refurbishment.
Attachments
IMG_0526 web.jpg
IMG_0526 web.jpg (169.05 KiB) Viewed 2932 times

jimh

Re: Whaler Keel Roller Trailer Set-up

Postby jimh » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:25 am

A keel roller is usually mounted to a crossmember of the trailer frame. The height of the keel roller above the crossmember is usually set to be as low as possible. The determining factor for the height of the keel roller above the frame cross member is usually the clearance of the hull above the fenders of the trailer. If possible, the lowest keel roller height above the cross member is the preferred location.

The typical brackets for mounting keel rollers are often installed in back-to-back pairs at each cross frame.

Visit the REFERENCE section at

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/

Scroll down in the table of contents to the subsection on TRAILERING.

Read the six articles about trailers. The first article will answer most of your questions. The first article has illustrations that show the method of attaching keel rollers to a crossmember of the trailer in pairs.

The trailer pictured in the initial article appears to have two crossmember locations where keel rollers could be installed, and a narrower tongue center member to which a smaller keel roller could be mounted.

If a crossmember has to be drilled to accept a mounting bolt for a keel roller, drill the hole exactly on the center of the crossmember.

The articles I have directed you to will have advice on how to adjust the bunk height.