Separating Bond between Foam and Laminate

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
1989fakey

Separating Bond between Foam and Laminate

Postby 1989fakey » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:22 pm

I have an 1989 WAHOO 13-foot boat. I am trying to get the liner off the hull. I believe the boat is soaked and very heavy. I have done a foam removal on an old Correct Craft ski boat. I am somewhat familiar with the stages of doing it. I also need to replace [the WAHOO boat fuel] tank and want to do a general updating.

I am sure I have released all hardware and rivets and the whole perimeter [is] free [that is, on the 1989 WAHOO 13-foot boat there is no longer a bond at the perimeter of the hulls between the foam and the laminate].

Any help [suggested by a reply] will be appreciated.

Do [Boston Whale boats of 13-foot length and made c.1989] have the foam bonded to the hull and liner [in a manner that makes separating them at the bond line a difficult task]?

What have [readers] done to separate [the bond between the foam and the laminate of Boston Whaler boats]?

--Peter

P.S. I know i can use the wahoo forum but there is not--how can i say it--much activity.

jimh

Re: wahoo owner please dont kick me off

Postby jimh » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:17 pm

The foam interior of a Boston Whaler boat is bonded to the laminate of the hull and cockpit liner in a primary bond which occurred as both foam and laminate were curing together. To learn more about Boston Whaler hull construction, read the section under the heading Unibond™ Hull in the article at

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/factory.html

This bond typically has strong adhesion and the foam-laminate junction is not easily separated. This method of construction is unique--as far as I know--to Boston Whaler boats, and I would not expect it to be found in a WAHOO boat.