Whaler Drive Leaks

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
georgesdds1

Whaler Drive Leaks

Postby georgesdds1 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:32 pm

I have a 1989 27 Whaler with a Whaler Drive, the original foam filled drive. The Whaler Drive is full of water. [The 1989 27 WHALER] has always been on a boat lift or dry stored. No water leaks out [from the Whaler Drive] when [the boat is] high and dry. There is one access point on the top deck of the drive which appears to be well sealed.

What is the best way to drain the water [from a Whaler Drive] and find the leak?

jimh

Re: Whaler Drive Leaks

Postby jimh » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:49 am

Your mention of "one access point" on your Whaler Drive is interesting. On the Whaler Drive for my 22-foot hull the exterior of the Whaler Drive is completely sealed; there is no way to access any portion of the interior of the Whaler Drive.

Does the "one access point" on your Whaler Drive appear to be an OEM feature?

Is the "one access point" the path through which you inspected the Whaler Drive interior to determine it was full of water?

georgesdds1

Re: Whaler Drive Leaks

Postby georgesdds1 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:50 pm

The access point was a aftermarket inspection cover to allow access to install a swim ladder. Yes, that is where I saw all the water. When I remove the hatch it was pressurized due to the heat so I believe it was well sealed