Outrage 21 Mechanical Fuel Gauge

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Driller

Outrage 21 Mechanical Fuel Gauge

Postby Driller » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:57 am

I'm having another tank built for my [1973] Outrage 21. I was considering installing a mechanical and magnetic fuel sender and gauge as opposed to electrical because there would be fewer wires to run and less stuff to deal with in and behind the dashboard. Other than the possibility of the clear plastic cover of the access port clouding up, is there any good reason not to use this style fuel gauge? And is there a particular make and model that is preferable? I'll be drilling and tapping the new tank so the bolt pattern isn't a concern.

Hello to all.

jimh

Re: Outrage 21 Mechanical Fuel Gauge

Postby jimh » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:20 am

Driller asks what I hope is not a rhetorical question:

...is there any good reason not to use this style fuel gauge?

I cannot think of a good reason to avoid using a siimple, direct reading, fuel tank level float arm lever with mechanically indicating tank level gauge--they are a very reliable fuel tank level indicator. Although I have three methods of measuring the fuel tank level on my boat, I trust the float tank lever that actuates a mechanical dial pointer to be the most reliable indicator of actual tank level.

This method was used on Boston Whaler boats for decades. Are you familiar with the transparent round deck pry-out access plate that provides a direct sight line to the dial pointer gauge? It is one of the coolest features of the classic Boston Whaler boats with in-deck fuel tanks. Let me ask you another non-rhetorical question: why wouldn't you replicate that good design?

Duplicating the nifty mechanical design of the original Boston Whaler tank level gauge, however, will be more difficult than just rigging an electrical sender.

Hoosier

Re: Outrage 21 Mechanical Fuel Gauge

Postby Hoosier » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:37 am

There isn't a good reason to not use the float gauge with the dial indicator. I replaced the float assembly on my 1978 Outrage V20 and installed a dash mounted gauge by using a dual site sending unit. It gives you both, a fuel gauge in the dash and the dial indicator in the floor.
1978 Outrage V20 with 2004 Suzuki DF-115. 1992 23 Walkaround with two 2010 Yamaha F-150s.