1999 Evinrude 200-HP FICHT Won't Shift, Engine accelerates on its own.

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
solism

1999 Evinrude 200-HP FICHT Won't Shift, Engine accelerates on its own.

Postby solism » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:43 pm

I have a 1999 Evinrude 200-HP V6 FICHT engine on a 20-foot boat. After the engine is fully warm [and] after riding the boat for a while, the [gear case] does not want to go in reverse. I found out that [the gear case] does not come out of forward gear; it stays locked in forward. Next,the engine idle starts to race to 3,000-RPM [and] the CHECK ENG light illuminates.

I had no choice but to kill the engine. After that, I re-started the engine. All went to normal. Idle was fine. No more lights. I was able to go in forward [and] reverse without problems. But every single time I race or ride the boat hard, come to idle speed, every single time when I try [to shift] from forward gear to neutral, the same thing happen again: it will not go in neutral; [the engine speed goes to] high RPM. Again [I] kill the engine, wait a little, re-start and go home--called it a day.

I was told [by someone the cause of this problem] could be the computer or throttle sensor. I really don't know what to do. I really like the engine. The engine is strong and fast. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thank you.

jimh

Re: 1999 Evinrude 200-HP FICHT Won't Shift, Engine accelerates on its own.

Postby jimh » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:30 pm

The first components to check are the remote throttle and shift controls and their linkages in the engine of these control actuators to the lever actuators that control the throttle and gear shift.