1996 DAUNTLESS 17 Fuel Fill Fitting Replacement Part

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Quogue

1996 DAUNTLESS 17 Fuel Fill Fitting Replacement Part

Postby Quogue » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:04 am

I recently bought a 1996 DAUNTLESS 17. While trailering home my new boat, the fuel tank filler fitting cap bounced off. The fuel tank filler cap was a vented cap, and it had a crack at the top point of its [hinge or] swivel. There are no threads [on the fuel filler fitting receptacle], so the fuel filler cannot accept [the typical threaded marine fuel cap as a] replacement cap.

I have called Boston Whaler [seeking a remedy from them], but I need a PLAN-B if Boston Whaler no longer has an exact replacement part.

Q1: can the fuel filler be replaced by a new all-metal filler cap?

Q2: what difficulty will there be to replace the fuel filler with a new all-metal fuller cap?

The original fuel filler fitting is held in place by three screw fasteners. I do not know what is on the other side [of the hull laminate].

Q3: [what off-the-shelf fuel filler fitting] would be a proper replacement?

The opening [of some unspecified location] is only 1.5-inches.

I have seen some fuel filler fittings that have a [connections for two hoses, one for the] gasoline fuel, and [one for a] vent hose.

I suspect the original fuel filler fitting only has [a connection for the fuel hose] and the [now missing fuel fill fitting] cap was the vent.

Any feedback will be helpful.

Phil T

Re: 1996 DAUNTLESS 17 Fuel Fill Fitting Replacement Part

Postby Phil T » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:22 am

For this generation of boat the fuel filler cap the vent were combined. To replace the entire fitting in the hull may be easier [than getting a replacement for the missing cap]. This can be a do-it-yourself project using basic tools and skills.

In looking on the web at a 1996 Dauntless 17, I believe the fuel fill fitting cap is on starboard side, amidships, adjacent to the steering wheel and side mounted engine remote controls

17_Dauntless_Fuel_Cap.jpg
Fig. 1. A 1996 Dauntless 17 Fuel Fill Cap and inspection Port
17_Dauntless_Fuel_Cap.jpg (203.51 KiB) Viewed 1669 times

Q4: does your 1996 DAUNTLESS 17 boat have a round inspection cover mounted on the side panel as shown in Figure 1, above?
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:17 am

I owned 1999 center console Dauntless 16, and it had a similar fuel fill cap. We had problems filling the fuel tank. Our Boston Whaler dealer contacted Boston Whaler for a solution. At that time the solution was a vent hose kit which included a vent for hull mounting. I believe the existing [vent] hose was rerouted to the new vent. That solved the refueling problem.

If the cost of a new fuel fill fitting cap or a new fuel fill fitting is excessive, the hull mounted vent fitting is an option.
Butch

Quogue

Postby Quogue » Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:37 pm

PHIL T: thank you for the information. I went to the storage site and did find an inspection plate that gave access to the 1.5 inch fuel supply hose and a smaller separate vent line attached to the fuel fill fitting, using two hose clamps on the large hose and one clamp on the vent hose.

I will need to get an articulated small ratchet wrench in there as they are about seven inches inside the hull--but [access to them] should be doable. Once [the original fuel filler fitting is] removed, I should be able to [find an aftermarket fitting to match the original].

If [later when I am actually operating the boat and engine] I have any concerns with the [engine fuel] supply, I will consider the second advice, and I run a vent through the hull. But first, I will try an aftermarket vented fuel filler fitting--if I can find a match.

I will update [this thread] when I have finished [working on the repair or replacement of the fuel filler fitting].

ASIDE: there are wires attached to the fuel hose that go to the hydraulic trim tabs--a strange place to attach wires.

[Removed two URL hyperlinks that did not lead to any photo-images. Again, if you need help with attaching in-line images to a post in the forum, please see the INTRODUCTION TO THE FORUM SOFTWARE form and read the article there on that subject: Adding Images to Posts--Moderator]

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:04 pm

Quogue wrote:ASIDE: there are wires attached to the fuel hose that go to the hydraulic trim tabs--a strange place to attach wires.
I doubt there is any electrical connection of wires to the rubber hose. It is often seen that the fuel filler hose may have a bonding wire wrapped around it. Generally all metal components of the fuel system are connected together on a Boston Whaler boat with a bonding conductor. The bonding conductor often has green insulation or in some cases yellow insulation.

If electrical conductors that are associated with the engine trim circuit somehow are now associated with a fuel filler hose, that sounds very unusual. Generally no electrical circuits would be run in close proximity to a fuel hose, particularly a gasoline fuel hose, except in the case of the bonding conductors I mentioned above. A bonding conductor does not carry any electrical current; it just serves to maintain all metallic components of the fuel system at the same voltage.

If your boat has a side-mounted remote engine shift-and-throttle control, perhaps someone has installed that rigging in an unusual manner. Using a fuel hose carrying gasoline fuel as a conduit to carry electrical cables is a very poor practice,

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:50 pm

There is a ground wire attached to the fuel fill. The other end of the ground wire is attached to the negative bus in the console.

It may be possible the tabs have a grounding wire. Photos would help validate this scenario.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003