2010 E-TEC 130-HP EngineL: Soot; Cracked Lower Covers

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Quogue

2010 E-TEC 130-HP EngineL: Soot; Cracked Lower Covers

Postby Quogue » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:47 am

SOOT

On the housing of my recently acquired 2010 E-TEC 130-HP engine there is more carbon [soot] than I have been seeing on my [other two E-TEC engines]. [After reading jimh's account of maintenance on his 2010 E-TEC 225-HP V6 engine in which a exhaust lower inner housing showed damage], I now wonder if my 2010 E-TEC 130-HP engine may have the same exhaust lower inner housing fault.

This engine 2010 130-HP E-TEC engine was originally purchased in September 2009 at a cost of $11,400 (according to some records I got when I bought it). I have a service bill from May 2020 which indicated the engine at that time had run only 88-hours. Apparently the original owner did not use the engine very much. The service the dealer performed was to replace the spark plugs, replace a filter, replace a thermostat, replace the water pump, and two other small parts that I can't decipher from the bill. The service ticket mentions "overheat alarm on speed". That is never good. I plan to contact the E-TEC dealer who performed the service of the engine in May 2020, and I hope he can give me more history on this particular engine.

I bought this E-TEC 130-HP from a second owner, who said it has about 250-hours. In March 2023 I will [connect EV-DIAGNOSTIC software to the 2010 E-TEC engine]. I hope that the engine history report from the diagnostic software will shed more light on the condition of the engine

CRACK ON ENGINE LOWER COVER

There is a small crack in [one of the lower engine covers] at the fastening bolt, which I assume is due to someone having over-tightened that fastener

Q1: does the midsection of a 2010 E-TEC 130-HP engine come apart easily for inspection?

ASIDE: the closest dealer is about an hour away so I intend on doing what [service procedures] I can by myself if possible.

jimh

Re: 2010 E-TEC 130-HP EngineL: Soot; Cracked Lower Covers

Postby jimh » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:50 am

Quogue wrote:There is a small crack in [one of the lower engine covers] at the fastening bolt, which I assume is due to someone having over-tightened that fastener.
Too much torque on the retaining bolts will cause a crack in the thermo-plastic molded lower engine covers. Unfortunately, the is a problem that has been seen before. The replacement lower engine cover cost is very high. The material used for the covers is not particularly easy to repair with an adhesive.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:59 am

Quogue wrote:[After reading jimh's account of maintenance on his 2010 E-TEC 225-HP V6 engine in which a exhaust lower inner housing showed damage], I now wonder if my 2010 E-TEC 130-HP engine may have the same exhaust lower inner housing fault.
My engine is a V6 3.3-liter engine.The exhaust inner lower housing that has been a problem on my V6 engine E225 DPXISE is part number 0338664.

I believe that the engine you are discussing here in a V4 1.7-liter engine. You should explicitly mention the full model designation for your engine, which will be something like E130DPXISC or some variant. Go to this URL

https://epc.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=E

Choose your engine model. Then you can find the part numbers for all components in your engine.

Upon my cursory look at the parts for a typical 2010 V4 130-HP model, I do not see a similar exhaust lower inner housing part used on that engine.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:02 am

Quogue wrote:On the housing of my recently acquired 2010 E-TEC 130-HP engine there is more carbon [soot] than I have been seeing on my E-TEC 90-HP engine or on my 2013 E-TEC 275-HP.
Please more accurately and distinctly describe the location of this "housing" where you are seeing an accumulation of soot.

I believe elsewhere you mention that you have not had this engine and its attached boat in the water and have not run the engine. I am confused about how you are seeing an accumulation of soot. Is this soot left on the engine from the last period of use by a former owner?

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:17 am

Quogue wrote:Q1: does the midsection of a 2010 E-TEC 130-HP engine come apart easily for inspection?
The midsection is probably a single piece casting. I do not think you can take it apart. In the parts breakdown this component is identified as a "Exhaust Housing."

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:20 am

Regarding accumulation of soot: there is always some soot in the engine exhaust. Excessive soot may be an indication that the engine is being run at an engine speed under load is lower than optimum. Consult the recommended engine full-throttle engine speed optimum speed ranges for the E-TEC. You can find this information in the REFERENCE section article at

E-TEC Recommended Engine Speed Range
https://continuouswave.com/whaler/refer ... neRPM.html

The best method to increase engine speed under load is to reduce the propeller pitch.

Of course, you will have to get this boat and engine in the water and conduct some tests with it. When you do, you can get advice about the propeller set up in the PERFORMANCE forum. Before posting in PERFORMANCE, please read the article that suggests what information should be gathered during performance testing. See

Propeller Testing: Evaluating the Data Obtained
https://continuouswave.com/forum/viewto ... f=7&t=7196