Converting SENTRY to Center Console

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Outrage_Sage

Converting SENTRY to Center Console

Postby Outrage_Sage » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:11 am

For anyone who has done this before, give me advice on converting a SENTRY 19 boat with a fixed windshield and hard top to a center console by removing the superstructure cap, the fixed windshield, and the hard top.

jimh

Re: Converting SENTRY to Center Console

Postby jimh » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:31 am

I discourage you from attempting to convert a SENTRY 19 with a hardtop and fixed windshield into a center console boat. Although people have made conversions of Boston Whaler boats where a molded superstructure element has been affixed to the more standard open hull boat, the process often leaves much evidence that the boat was modified because of the holes that remain from the fasteners that secured the superstructure to the boat.

Typically, boat models that have a molded superstructure added to a basic open cockpit boat were made in much smaller numbers than the open cockpit models. On that basis, there should be many more open cockpit boats available than ones with the added superstructure. This is particularly true in the situation of a commercial hull like the SENTRY.

My advice: don't buy a SENTRY and then attempt to significantly alter it from its configuration with a superstructure, fixed windshield, and hard top.