Replace Mechanical Fuel Gauge with Electrical Remote Gauge

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
escknx

Replace Mechanical Fuel Gauge with Electrical Remote Gauge

Postby escknx » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:57 pm

Q1: On an OUTRAGE 18, what is a direct drop-in replacement for the mechanical fuel level sender [that will allow a remote electrically operated] fuel gauge to be used on the center console?
Last edited by escknx on Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimh

Re: Replace Mechanical Fuel Gauge with Electrical Remote Gauge

Postby jimh » Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:08 am

First, I must tell you that your idea is a bad idea. The fuel gauge what is used on classic era Boston Whaler boats is a much better fuel level indicator than you can get with any remote electrical gauge. There are two significant advantages to the existing gauge:
  • it works without any electrical current, and
  • its dial pointer operates over a 270-degree arc.

The reasons these are advantages are:
  • there is no effect on the tank level reading if the battery voltage changes, and
  • the much greater arch of the current gauge compared to the much smaller arc of an electrically-operating gauge gives you better resolution in reading the fuel level.

If you MUST have an electrically-operated remote gauge, you can still retain a dial pointer magnetically linked gauge. For information see the article on RECOMMENDED SOURCES and VENDORS at:

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/refer ... #fuelGauge

Follow-up with the recommended vendor to get the needed replacement part.

Also, I doubt you can find a "drop-in" replacement for the portion of the fuel tank level sender that is actually in the fuel tank. The OEM fuel tank level sender uses an unusual four-bolt bolt pattern. Most of the "replacement" resistive fuel tank level senders do not use the same bolt pattern. This is another reason why your idea is not a good idea.

What you are proposing is to "fix" something that is not broken.

escknx

Postby escknx » Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:17 am

A prior discussion in the forum archives at

https://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=550
has an account of a gauge replacement with a Rochester 6500.

[Someplace or some vendor specified only as] they have Rochester 6540-00090 TwinSite Adjustable Gauge, 0-90 Ohms, and it seems to be dual purpose gauge.

I get that simplicity is a good thing but It's more of a convenience fix. That 150 engine eats fuel like a commercial truck, on a good day I easily ran thru more than half a tank in several hours, I'd love to see where I am at without unscrewing deck plate.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:57 pm

escknx wrote:...Rochester 6540-00090 TwinSite Adjustable Gauge, 0-90 Ohm....
If you buy a fuel tank level sender that has a resistance range of 0 to 90-Ohms, you will need to get a very special electrical remote dial reading meter to use with that range of resistance. A 0 to 90-Ohm range is NOT STANDARD in marine fuel tank electrically operated remote gauges.

For details about the normal resistance of tank level senders, see my article at

Tank Sender and Trim Sender Resistance
https://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3043

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:14 pm

http://www.e-components.net has the OEM fuel tank sender and [visual dial-pointer tank level gauges].
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Don SSDD

Postby Don SSDD » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:31 am

My 1986 Outrage 18 fuel gauge cover in the floor is clear plastic, no need to remove it to check the fuel level.
1986 Outrage 18 with 2001 Honda 130 HP
Former Owner 1991 Guardian 19 with 1994 Evinrude V4 140HP
Former owner 1987 Montauk with 1998 Mercury 90HP
Nova Scotia