OUTRAGE 18 Green Wire Near Fuel Tank

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
escknx

OUTRAGE 18 Green Wire Near Fuel Tank

Postby escknx » Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:46 pm

Q1: what is the purpose of a wire conductor with green insulation that is near the fuel tank of an OUTRAGE 18 [much later clarified to be a model year 1982 boat], that is not connected to anything?

Figure 1 shows a wire I found unconnected to anything but near the fuel tank.

greenWire_.jpg
Fig. 1. An unconnected wire with green insulation found near the fuel tank of an OUTRAGE 18 boat.
greenWire_.jpg (17.41 KiB) Viewed 2537 times

[Deleted question that proposes a survey of who has knowledge of green wires.]

Don SSDD

Re: OUTRAGE 18 Green Wire Near Fuel Tank

Postby Don SSDD » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:44 am

[The unconnected green wire seen in Figure 1] is a ground wire. It needs to be connected to a ground such as the battery negative. There are ground connections at the fuel and vent hoses and at three areas on top of the aluminum fuel tank. These are under the covers in front of the console, behind the console, and the cover in front of the splash well.
1986 Outrage 18 with 2001 Honda 130 HP
Former Owner 1991 Guardian 19 with 1994 Evinrude V4 140HP
Former owner 1987 Montauk with 1998 Mercury 90HP
Nova Scotia

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:56 am

escknx wrote:Q1: what is the purpose of a wire conductor with green insulation that is near the fuel tank of an OUTRAGE 18 [of unspecified year] but not connected to anything?
With the wire not connected to the fuel tank, there is at present no purpose to that wire. However, in the original configuration of the boat, the green wire had a very important purpose:

The large-gauge wire, which will typically be 10-AWG size, is a BONDING CONDUCTOR that is part of the FUEL SYSTEM BONDING CIRCUIT.

Don SSDD wrote:[The unconnected green wire seen in Figure 1]...needs to be connected to a ground such as the battery negative.
Because we do not know what model year boat you are asking about, the recommendation that the bonding circuit should be connected to the battery negative terminal is probably INCORRECT, and you should not follow that advice, at least not until we get more information from you about the age of the boat.

As for why or how the green conductor near the fuel tank is not connected at this moment, I can offer only speculation that it became loose from vibration, or possible was intentionally disconnected for some unknown reason or by due to mistake.

FUEL BONDING CIRCUIT ON BOSTON WHALER BOATS c.1980 to c.1990

In most c.1980 through c.1990 Boston Whaler boats with an aluminum fuel tank, all the metallic elements of the fuel system had 10-AWG wire with green insulation connected to them, namely:
  • the fuel filler inlet fitting on the deck
  • the fuel tank vent fitting on the hull
  • the aluminum fuel tank
These circuit elements were then connected to an electrode on the outboard face of the transom located below the waterline. The green conductor to the electrode typically was run down the transom face and retained by a clamp, then passed through the transom well above the waterline. The size of the electrode is about the size of a half-dollar coin, and the electrode is made from bronze.

In the OEM installation, this circuit was NEVER connected to the boat's battery negative terminal, nor should it be. The purpose of the circuit was to maintain all the metal parts of the fuel system at the same voltage. The reason for the desire to maintain all metal parts of the fuel system at the same voltage is to prevent a change in their voltage, which would create the possibility of an electric arc or sparking during fueling.

Because the fuel is gasoline, and because gasoline is an extreme NON-conductor of electricity, and because the fuel hoses connecting these metal elements were rubber, and because rubber is also an extreme NON-conductor of electricity, and because of the triboelectic effect, it is possible for electric voltage to be generated by the flow of gasoline through rubber fuel hoses.

The reason the bonding circuit should NOT be connected to the battery negative is to avoid the possibility of any electrical current flowing on the bonding circuit. As in all bonding circuits (or "ground" circuits) the presence of a flow of current indicates a FAULT has occurred. For this reason, the bonding circuit is kept completely isolated from the boat battery.

Q2: on the outboard face of the transom of your OUTRAGE 18 of unknown model year, is there an electrode fastened to the transom and also to a green 10-AWG conductor that then runs up the transom and through the transom?

Also, in Figure 1, I see what looks like a short piece of rubber hose that is connecting a metal fuel line to the fuel tank at what may be the fuel pickup outlet. From this I infer that perhaps the fuel line to the engine or to an in-line fuel filter was a copper fuel line. Use of a copper fuel line is occasionally seen on the rigging of some Boston Whaler boat fuel system.

escknx

Postby escknx » Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:12 am

The Outrage 18 [that is the topic of this discussion is a model year] 1982.

Yes, there is a green wire at the transom with an electrode.

The short piece of rubber hose is connecting a metal fuel line (from what appears to be an air inlet) to the fuel tank.

The fuel filler inlet hose is thick rubber.

Don SSDD

Postby Don SSDD » Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:51 am

In later years (after c.1990) I understand the green tank wire was connected to the battery negative by the factory. My 1986 Outrage 18 did not have the transom electrode so I made my connection there.
1986 Outrage 18 with 2001 Honda 130 HP
Former Owner 1991 Guardian 19 with 1994 Evinrude V4 140HP
Former owner 1987 Montauk with 1998 Mercury 90HP
Nova Scotia

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:49 am

I would expect a 1982 OUTRAGE 18 to have the transom electrode as part of the fuel system metal components bonding circuit. Find the inboard end of that green wire, and verify there is a good electrical connection to the transom electrode. Perhaps the conductor shown unconnected in Figure 1 might be connected to the electrode. If so, you should reconnect that green wire to the metal fuel tank. Or the green wire could be from the fuel filler inlet metal fitting or the fuel tank vent fitting.

My model year 1990 Boston Whaler has a transom electrode. Curiously, the insulation color on the conductor is yellow. Maybe the factory ran out of wire with green insulation. On the other hand, yellow insulated wire in DC circuits has come to be common in stead of black for the negative circuit, but that is usually only used on boats that have 120-VAC wiring, where black represents the HOT conductor.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:56 am

Don SSDD wrote:My 1986 Outrage 18 did not have the transom electrode...
I would expect that in model year 1986 your particular OUTRAGE 18 originally had a transom electrode, but if the boat was used in saltwater for a few decades, the electrode may have been eroded away and perhaps removed by a previous owner.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:01 am

escknx wrote:The short piece of rubber hose is connecting a metal fuel line (from what appears to be an air inlet) to the fuel tank.
The device you call an air inlet is precisely that, it lets air into the fuel tank. However, the common name for this device is a fuel tank vent.

The purpose of the fuel tank vent is allow the level of fuel in the fuel tank to decrease without creating a negative pressure or vacuum in the fuel tank. If there were not a vent, then drawing fuel from the fuel tank would become increasingly difficult as the fuel tank level decreases. Without a vent, the withdrawal of fuel would soon require so much suction that the typical fuel lift pump on an outboard engine would not be able to draw any fuel.

escknx wrote:The fuel filler inlet hose is thick rubber.
The large diameter rubber hose used to convey fuel from the fuel filler inlet into the fuel tank is made of rubber with an embedded wire reinforcement.

escknx

Postby escknx » Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:43 pm

jimh wrote:I would expect a 1982 OUTRAGE 18 to have the transom electrode as part of the fuel system metal components bonding circuit. Find the inboard end of that green wire, and verify there is a good electrical connection to the transom electrode
There is an electrical connection [of the unconnected green wire near the fuel tank] to the transom electrode.

[I presume] this [fuel tank metal component bonding] circuit works only when boat sits in water.

I'm trying to figure out how to reconnect [the green bonding conductor] to the fuel tank. I don't have an access to [the fuel tank] without removing [the center] console and main deck [section that covers the fuel tank cavity].

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:15 am

escknx wrote:[I presume] this [fuel tank metal component bonding ] circuit works only when boat sits in water.
No. The fuel tank bonding circuit is always working. Its purpose, as I explained above in some detail, is to maintain all the metal components of the fuel system at the same voltage. As I explained earlier, the flow of gasoline when fuel is being added to the fuel tank can create an electrical charge. As I mentioned earlier, by having all the elements of the fuel system that are conductive (metal) connected together by the 10-AWG green conductor, those elements MUST remain at the same voltage.

When gasoline fuel is dispensed from a retail fuel pump, the metal nozzle of the fuel hose from the pump will be attached to an earth ground through the pump and its hose. The moment you touch the metal nozzle of the retail fuel pump to the metal of the boat fuel inlet filler fitting, all metal fuel components in your boat's fuel system will become the same voltage as the ground circuit of the retail fuel pump dispensing nozzle.

If you reread the comments in this discussion, you should be able to understand the purpose of the fuel system bonding circuit and why it was included in the manufacturing of your Boston Whaler boat with an aluminum below-deck fuel tank.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:20 am

Looking closely at Figure 1, is the fuel tank shown in that image made of aluminum?

escknx

Postby escknx » Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:49 am

jimh wrote:Looking closely at Figure 1, is the fuel tank shown in that image made of aluminum?
The aluminum fuel tank is completely covered by deck panels. I will try to remove small one to see if there's an access but later in a week or so after the boat is re-painted.

I get the purpose and how grounding works, but since that electrode is not in water and not connected to the trailer I cant get what its purpose. The green wire is just a wire that ends at the transom. If charge is created by the friction of gasoline and rubber hose, how does open ended [transom electrode] wire prevents that, unless its not straight electrode-fuel tank wire.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:18 pm

escknx wrote:The aluminum fuel tank is completely covered by deck panels.
Thanks for confirming the fuel tank is aluminum.

escknx wrote:I will try to remove small [deck panel] one to see if there's an access...
Typically on any Boston Whaler classic-era boat with an internal below-deck fuel tank there will be several circular pry-out deck access plates. These are intentionally located to allow access to the areas of the fuel tank where the tank has fittings for fuel to be added to the tank and areas where fuel is to be extracted from the tank and areas where the tank level gauge is located.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:25 pm

escknx wrote:I get the purpose and how grounding works, but since that electrode is not in water and not connected to the trailer I cant get what its purpose...,
When the boat is not in the water, the electrode on the transom obviously is not essential as it is only in contact with air. The electrode on the transom will be submerged in seawater when the boat is in the water, and then it makes an electrical connection to the water.

The use of a submerged electrode on the transom was discontinued by Boston Whaler at some point, but I don't know the exact date. They then switched to just connecting the fuel tank bonding system to the battery negative terminal.

If a boat was originally equipped with a transom electrode that was bonded to the fuel tank, I don't see any purpose in disconnecting the electrode. The electrode acts as a "ground" to the seawater.

If you want to leave the electrode disconnected, you can do that. But that is not how Boston Whaler built the boat. When Boston Whaler manufactured the boat, they had to comply with federal regulations. You can read the federal regulations regarding fuel tanks in:

https://www.uscgboating.org/assets/1/As ... YSTEM1.pdf

Grounding is discussed at 33CFR183.572

If you were able to take a photograph of the green wire near the fuel tank vent fitting, then I assume you have already had access to that area.