E-TEC G2 10-Ampere Fuse Blows When Trim-Tilt Activated

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Detra

E-TEC G2 10-Ampere Fuse Blows When Trim-Tilt Activated

Postby Detra » Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:30 pm

My Evinrude E-TEC 300-HP G2 300 Model E300XUAGF indicates codes 161 and 183. The 10-Ampere fuse blows when the power trim is activated.

Operating the engine trim switches at either the helm or on the engine cowling blows the 10-Ampere fuse. If the fuse is replaced the engine will start and run

I have inspected all wires. I could not find a short [circuit].

BACKGROUND NARRATIVE
After a day of fishing, I shut off the E-TEC engine at a dock; the engine would not restart. Turning the ignition key switch produced intermittent starter motor engagement. I replaced the 10-Ampere fuse at the engine; the engine then started in safe mode. I shut off the engine. I restarted the engine; the engine operated normally. I shut off the engine; the tilt/trim function would not work. I started engine and was able to trim up the engine.

I've since determined that operating the trim at the engine or at the helm with the engine off [results in a blown] 10-Ampere fuse. If I replace the fuse, the engine starts; both trim switches work normally.

I unplugged the helm key for starter and the ICON II ETS remote control, replaced the fuse, and tried the trim switch on engine: the fuse blew immediately. I pulled boat out of the water. I removed engine covers and frame. I inspected all wires and couldn't find a short.

I also replaced trim relay.

The problem is still there.

I'm guessing I need to replace or repair EMM.

[Solicits further analysis of the cause of the fuse blowing and the engine codes].

jimh

Re: E-TEC G2 10-Ampere Fuse Blows When Trim-Tilt Activated

Postby jimh » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:25 pm

If you want to investigate this problem yourself, you need the Evinrude service manual for the engine. There you will be able to see the wiring diagrams. If you are familiar with basic DC circuits, and you are skilled in analysis of possible causes of circuit malfunctions, you may be able to make informed inferences about possible causes of the behavior you see in the trim-tilt circuit.

Typically the engine trim switches on the engine cowling are in direct control of the relay coils. In the G2 engine the circuit may be more complicated, possibly involving the EMM.

I personally don’t have any experience with the G2 engine. At ETECOWNERSGROUP.COM there are many profession Evinrude service people who will be better able to help you. I recommend you move your inquiry to ETECOWNERSGROUP.COM.

[UPDATE: I see you are already inquiring about this problem at

https://www.etecownersgroup.com/post/we ... t-12766477

If I have any further ideas about the cause, i will reply there.]

About the only advice I can offer is: check the negative battery terminal to engine chassis connection. Disruption of the normal negative return circuit in DC circuits often results in the current trying to flow on very unusual and unintended paths.