2008 180 VENTURA Modifying Hull Structure

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Schism

2008 180 VENTURA Modifying Hull Structure

Postby Schism » Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:53 pm

I plan to remove the aft bench seat on my 2008 180:VENTURA. This seat is not bolted in was done on older models.

I anticipate that I will be doing the [re-work to the] fiberglass and gel cost.

Q1: [will cutting out the stern bench seats affect the] structure [of the hull]?

The reason for this change is to create more cockpit deck space for using the 180 VENTURA for angling instead of using it for water skiing and tubing. The extra [cockpit deck] space [that will result from removing the molded-in seating] would be ideal for me. I just re-powered this 180 VENTURA.

jimh

Re: 2008 180 VENTURA Modifying Hull Structure

Postby jimh » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:54 pm

Schism wrote:Q1: [will cutting out the stern bench seats affect the] structure [of the hull]?
I don’t think anyone other than the 2008 Boston Whaler design department can give you a proper answer.

The fact that you are asking for opinions on how the hull structure will be affected on a web forum seems to suggest you have some concern about making this modification. I think you should be very concerned.

Leaving aside the question of the effect of the proposed modification on the hull structure strength, and leaving aside the question of your ability to reconstruct the deck and cockpit fiberglass and laminate, the proposed modification is going to be quite a significant modification to the Unibond hull, done by you, the present owner. If you anticipate ever selling this boat, you would very likely encounter resistance from most buyers to purchase a Boston Whaler hull that had been modified like this by a do-it-yourself-er.