Restoring 1977 17-foot Hull for Eventual Sale

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Bhungerford

Restoring 1977 17-foot Hull for Eventual Sale

Postby Bhungerford » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:16 pm

Give me advice on which of three routes to take to restore my 1977 17-foot hull that has been customized and then sell it. The hull has a console from a Carolina Skiff. The three options are
  1. restore it to a SPORT model with the mahogany benches, and re-power with a 75-HP.
  2. create a custom 17-footer using a Boston Whaler console, a Reversible Pilot Seat, and a casting platform, making a good inshore fishing boat.
  3. just fix all the minor damage in the hull and sell it without re-powering—the easiest option but I miss out on seeing it complete, and I like seeing work done.

ASIDE
I’ve had a custom 17 whaler for several years. I picked it up pretty cheap for something to fish in for a couple of years. I have several kids so the boat was outgrown. I moved on to a 24 foot center console and the whaler sat in my garage. I am purchasing a 190 Montauk as I spend most of my time now inshore fishing and don’t often have more than a couple of folks with me. The 190 is a good size for my needs.

Sanding is fun.

My primary activity is fishing.

I have also picked up a Wm J Mills & Co. Bimini top that came off an c.1980 MONTAUK in good condition. I also found a rear casting platform that was used in another Boston Whaler. I am told these weren’t made by Boston Whaler but I’ve seen them in older Boston Whaler boats.

The hull has several spider cracks which I am repairing in addition to fixing the hull. Interior paint will be matched to original paint. Outer hull needs a bit of gel coat work but probably a weekend or so.

jimh

Re: Restoring 1977 17-foot Hull for Eventual Sale

Postby jimh » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:21 pm

My advice to you is Option 3.