270 DAUNTLESS Rod Holders Flush Mounted

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
mjmorrisva

270 DAUNTLESS Rod Holders Flush Mounted

Postby mjmorrisva » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:24 pm

Q1: can flush-mounted rod holders be installed into the gunwales of the bow of a 2020 270 DAUNTLESS?

Q2: what area on the bow gunwales of a 2020 270 DAUNTLESS are safe for cutting into to mount flush-mounted rod holders?

Q3: will flush-mounted rod holders on the bow gunwales of a 2020 DAUNTLESS 270 be sufficiently retained if only self-tapping screw fasteners and 3M4200 adhesive are used to retain them?

READERS: any thought on this topic are welcome

BACKSTORY

I'm enjoying my recently purchased 2020 270 Dauntless. I am frustrated there are no flush-mounted rod holders in the gunwales in the bow area. The [Unibond hull] construction of the 2020 270 DAUNTLESS makes it impossible to get access to the space under the gunwales. As such, I'm concerned about cutting into the gunwales and finding something blocking the rod holder like electrical wiring. I'm also concerned that because I cannot get access to the areas under the gunwales I cannot [through-]bolt the rod holders or use a backing plate; I can only use screw fasteners and some 3M4200 adhesive.
Matthew Morris
2020 270 Dauntless

jimh

Re: 270 DAUNTLESS Rod Holders Flush Mounted

Postby jimh » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:33 am

Before proceeding with the proposed modification, obtain the mechanical drawing from Boston Whaler that shows the location of embedded reinforcements in the hull and gunwales. An assembly drawing should also show routing of electrical conductors.

Such drawings should be available from the WHALER.COM website in the section OWNER'S RESOURCES.

In any area where there is embedded reinforcement material, use of a self-tapping screw fastener will give a strong attachment point, and if the embedded reinforcement material is suitable, the reinforcement material can be drilled and tapped to receive a machine screw fastener. In some locations and some models aluminum plate

Any rod holder installed into a gunwale should be able to drain onto the cockpit deck.

Getting advice from Boston Whaler customer service will also be useful before making any large diameter holes in the gunwales. If there were never any option for placement of rod holders in the bow gunwales, there may be a good reason for that omission.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:08 am

I recommend stanchion mounted rod holders. To properly install gunwale flush mount rod holders drains should be included. A hard rain can put a lot of water in a holder. It would either need to be removed or allowed to evaporate AND soak into the hull's foam. Flush mount rod holders with covers are available but when you are using them rain can find it's way in and the covers always seem to get lost.

Our old Dauntless 16 had hinged rod racks on the hull sides that folded out of the way when not in use. Because we always seemed to bring far more rods than needed and the racks hindered movement fore and aft when being used, I installed four stanchion mounted holders. If thoughtfully installed they need not be in the way.
Butch

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:28 am

I never recommend installing anything that is recessed into the foamed cavity. It is inviting water ingress.

Mount the holder to a rail. If not already there, add a bow rail.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003