2006 170 MONTAUK Raise Console; Replace Console

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
kpo500

2006 170 MONTAUK Raise Console; Replace Console

Postby kpo500 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:17 pm

Q1: what ways can be used to raise the height of the steering wheel and the engine remote shift and throttle controls on the center console of 2006 MONTAUK 17?

My research has found mixed [opinions]:
  • raise the steering wheel and engine contros;
  • raise the entire console;
  • discard the existing console, buy a different console, and completely re-rig, perhaps by buying a center console from Boston Whaler as used in the post-2008 170 MONTAUK boats.

BACK STORY

My height is 6-feet 2-inches, and I have to slouch against the pilot seat back (while the seat is pushed forward) in order to have comfort at the helm.

[Moderator’s note: a survey has been deleted. Please do not ask survey questions. For example, do not ask “Has anyone ever done (whatever modification is being proposed).]

jimh

Re: 2006 170 MONTAUK Raise Console; Replace Console

Postby jimh » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:54 am

The worst of the three suggested methods is to discard the existing console and try to get a different console from Boston Whaler. First, I doubt you could just order a blank, unfinished console. Second, you’d have a Frankenstein 170 MONTAUK, with probably reduced value unless the work was done to the highest standard. Also the cost and labor would both be high.

The simplest, easiest, least cost, and most simple to revert-to-original condition is to just build wooden risers and lift the whole existing console two inches. This approach has been done in the past with very attractive results.

A discussion from 14-years ago has two nice illustrations. See

Increasing Console Height
https://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/017834.html