Hull Bottom Barrier Coat Product

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
merk175

Hull Bottom Barrier Coat Product

Postby merk175 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:51 pm

I plan to use WEST System epoxy to make the repair to the gel coat resin on my 1989 MONTAUK [unspecified length], then use Petit Protect for the barrier coat.

Q1: can Petit Protect be applied over epoxy?

Q2: how long should the hull be allowed to dry before the barrier coat is applied?

ASIDE:

I had the hull bottom of my 1989 MONTAUK [unspecified length] blasted on April 24, 2024 with a "slurry recycled glass" medium to remove the bottom paint.

There are some chips in the gel coat along the chines, including two big ones, that need repair before I apply a barrier coat and anti-fouling paint

jimh

Re: Hull Bottom Barrier Coat Product

Postby jimh » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:03 am

merk175 wrote:Q1: can Petit Protect be applied over epoxy?
The traditional concern for applying top coats over cured epoxy resin is with the tendency for epoxy resin surfaces to cure with an amine surface layer. The amine surface layer can be removed by using soap and water.

For more comments about using epoxy--and WEST System epoxy in particular--listen to my interview with Jim Watson from WEST Systems. Listen at

Whaler Radio or Podcast
https://continuouswave.com/whaler/radio/

and listen to this segment

Classic Whaler Radio: PART 1 with Jim Watson of West System
https://continuouswave.com/whaler/radio ... tPart1.mp3

The comments about amine removal occur about three minutes into the interview.

For specific advice about surface preparation being applying a particular barrier coat paint (such as Petit Protect) contact the manufacture; often warnings about use with certain other products would be included on the paint label.

merk175 wrote:Q2: how long should the hull be allowed to dry before the barrier coat is applied?
If you are asking about how long should a repair made with WEST System epoxy be allowed to cure before it is top-coated with another finish, my recommendation is to allow plenty of time for the epoxy resin to cure, perhaps a day or more, including possibly following advice from WEST Systems to "post-cure" the epoxy by applying some hot air to it. Check with WEST Systems for more detailed advice on how long a repair made with their epoxy resin should be allowed to cure before top coating with a different materiel and also if any other steps should be taken to insure that the next finish product will get a good bond to WEST System epoxy cured resin.