Oil Tank Location

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
MikeUFCfan

Oil Tank Location

Postby MikeUFCfan » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:30 am

Q1: what is a good place to locate a 10.5-liter capacity remote oil tank for a two-stroke-power-cycle engine on a 1984 OUTRAGE V-20?

Q2: can a 10.5-liter capacity remote oil tank for a two-stroke-power-cycle engine be located in the engine splash well of a 1984 OUTRAGE V-20?

Q2: can a 10.5-liter capacity remote oil tank for a two-stroke-power-cycle engine be located in the center console of a 1984 OUTRAGE V-20?

BACKSTORY

When I bought this 1984 OUTRAGE V-20 with a Yamaha Ox66 engine the previous owner was only using the under-cowling oil reservoir in the engine. The capacity of that tank is small, and the previous owner said he had to re-fill the tank with oil every time he used the boat.

I plan on taking the 1984 OUTRAGE V-20 far offshore, and I want to avoid having to refill the under-cowling oil reservoir while at sea. I have the remote oil tank for the engine, and I plan to install the tank.

jimh

Re: Oil Tank Location

Postby jimh » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:14 am

MikeUFCfan wrote:Q2: can a 10.5-liter [2.8-gallon] capacity remote oil tank for a two-stroke-power-cycle engine be located in the engine splash well of a 1984 OUTRAGE V-20?
Yes. That is probably the best place for a remote oil tank. The c.1984 OUTRAGE V-20 has a very nice full-width engine splash well, so there will be plenty of room in the engine splash well for a remote oil tank. And because you will be going offshore, you should have room for two batteries for engine starting, which is highly recommended if you cannot pull-start the engine.

NOTE: the OUTRAGE 20 models made from 1978 to c.1984 are referred to as the OUTRAGE V-20 models in order to avoid confusion with the later OUTRAGE 20 models made from c.1985 to c.1989

MikeUFCfan

Postby MikeUFCfan » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:20 am

Hey Jim, thanks for the help. I have two batteries in the center console right now so an oil tank would eat up the rest of the space. I suppose I'm on board with the splash well. I believe I would have to put it off to one side as the center looks clustered with outboard cables, especially if the trim is all the way up.

Haven't done anything yet but will keep you updated if I get around to that project soon.

MarkCz

Postby MarkCz » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:17 pm

My dad had a 22 ft revenge with the full width splash well and his oil tank was located on the opposite side from his starting battery in the splash well. The only downside to that location was sun exposure over time weakened the Mercury plastic tank and he had to replace the tank a few times as small cracks formed in the tank and would spew oil when it let loose. He would get about 5 to 7 years out of a tank.