2010 170 MONTAUK Trolling Motor Wiring Path

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
rmaxwel

2010 170 MONTAUK Trolling Motor Wiring Path

Postby rmaxwel » Wed May 01, 2024 4:04 pm

Q1: can two conductors of size 4-AWG be installed under the rub rail of of a 2010 170 MONTAUK?

Q2: is running two 4-AWG wires under the rub rail of a 170 MONTAUK a good or bad idea?

Q3: [what is your opinion of] advice I received to install electrical conduit under the gunwale [to carry two 4-AWG conductors to the bow from the console with the method of getting from the conduit under the gunwale to the center console to be determined].

Q4: [with no rigging tunnel to the bow from the console and not using the under-rub-rail path,] what other way can two 4-AWG conductors be run to the bow from the console, other than just laying them on the cockpit floor?

Give me ideas of how to run two 4-AWG cables to the bow from the center console of a 2010 170 MONTAUK.

Show me illustrations of any new method.

BACK STORY
I plan to install a bow mounted trolling motor that operates from 24-Volts and provides 80-lbs thrust on a 2010 170 MONTAUK in the state of Texas.

In order to look for a rigging tunnel in a 2010 170 MONTAUK from the console to the bow area, I cut a hole, but no rigging tunnel or wiring path was found. See Figure 1 below.

IMG_1663 (1).jpg
Fig. 1. A large hole cut into the hull of a 2010 170 MONTAUK to explore for a hidden rigging tunnel between the bow and center console.
IMG_1663 (1).jpg (43.64 KiB) Viewed 252 times

I have read about laying [two 4-AWG electric cables] on the floor [of the cockpit] but have not seen any pictures [of that method of running the wiring for the trolling motor].

jimh

Re: 2010 170 MONTAUK Trolling Motor Wiring Path

Postby jimh » Thu May 02, 2024 8:37 am

rmaxwel wrote:Q3: [what is your opinion of] advice I received to install electrical conduit under the gunwale [to carry two 4-AWG conductors to the bow from the console with the method of getting from the conduit under the gunwale to the center console to be determined].

Q5: did that advice include photos illustrations of the method?

If so, please show the illustrations of the method so it can be assessed for being either a good or bad idea. i would like to see the cable path from gunwale to center console, and where that crossover occured.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu May 02, 2024 8:44 am

rmaxwel wrote:In order to look for a rigging tunnel in a 2010 170 MONTAUK from the console to the bow area, I cut a hole, but no rigging tunnel or wiring path was found.
I know this comment is in hindsight, but in looking for the presence of a rigging tunnel from the console to the bow, it might have been more prudent to look first for its exit at the console end.

Such a wiring path may only exist if the hull was fabricated with the trolling motor pre-wiring option.

MarkCz

Postby MarkCz » Thu May 02, 2024 10:03 am

If you buy silicone sheathed marine tinned duplex cable it is very flexible and lays flat on the floor. I used Anchor brand bonded cable. The red and black are joined together. I went with AWG-6 cable for my [unspecified year] [unspecified length] Montauk.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu May 02, 2024 12:05 pm

If the one-way distance from battery to trolling motor is 10-feet, with a 24-Volt DC system voltage (13.2 * 2 = 26.4-Volts nominal full charge level), wire of 4-AWG would limit the voltage drop to only three-percent with a current of 153-Amperes. At 26.4 Volts and 153-Amperes the electrical power is over 4,000-Watts. Conversion to horsepower is more than 5-HP.

Q6: what is the maximum rated current capacity for the electric motor?

Q7: did the manufacturer of the motor require use of 4-AWG cable?

rmaxwel

Postby rmaxwel » Thu May 02, 2024 12:21 pm

A gentleman in Virginia told me “Wire run down the rub rail. 4 awg.”

[Moderator's note. Two photographs were posted without captions. Several questions were asked concerning what was to be demonstrated by the photographs. Those several questions were answered. The outcome was that the photographs did not illustrate any information germane to this discussion. The two photographs, the several questions about them, and the answers to those questions have been removed from this discussion.]

MarkCz

Postby MarkCz » Fri May 03, 2024 1:14 am

I have a motor guide Xi5 24-Volt trolling motor. Maximum current is about 45-Amperes.

Big V

Postby Big V » Thu May 09, 2024 1:39 pm

I also have a 2010 170 Montauk. I plan to install a bow mounted trolling motor. I referenced the post (url below) which mentions there is a tunnel that runs from the console to the bow for the wires for the bow light. I assume there wasn't much of a change between the 2010 and 2014 model?
Thanks!

https://continuouswave.com/forum/viewto ... f=6&t=4411

Also, here is the electrical harness diagram taken from the 2010 owner's manual

electrical harness diagram.JPG
Fig. 4. Wiring harness path from Boston Whaler resources.
electrical harness diagram.JPG (63.12 KiB) Viewed 123 times

rmaxwel

Postby rmaxwel » Mon May 13, 2024 5:08 pm

Update. I let the professionals at Jorgensen Marine take over [the installation of a trolling motor on my 2010 170 MONTAUK].

The [combined sidelights lamp] was removed. 8-AWG wires and a 14-AWG wire were run to the console.

[The trolling motor will be a Minn-Kota 80-lbs thrust] 24-Volt 60-inch Terrova “Spot Lock” number 1363786. This trolling motor was on sale for $2,599.

The bow rails will be cut.

One 24-Volt ProGuide Lithium Battery will be installed, along with a battery charger.

An aluminum plate will be put under the trolling motor and adhered with 3M4200.

The trolling motor will be screwed in. The wiring will be [permanent]

Q12: what other items may be needed for the trolling motor rigging?

Q13: what effect will occur from the trolling motor battery chemistry being lithium and the engine starting battery chemistry being lead-acid?

Q14: how many hours labor will be needed for the installation [of all the gear described so far]?

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon May 13, 2024 9:04 pm

rmaxwel wrote:Update. I let the professionals at Jorgensen Marine take over [the installation of a trolling motor on my 2010 170 MONTAUK].
Q15: Will the large hole you cut near the bow be used in the installation of the trolling motor?

rmaxwel wrote:8-AWG wires and a 14-AWG wire were run to the console.
What was the wiring path used?

Please give the exact location from where these conductors were run to the console, and the path of the cables.

The TOPIC of this thread is the wiring pPath for a trolling motor on a .c2017 170 MONTAUK, so knowing the wiring path that the "professionals" used would be very appropriate information to add to the discussion.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue May 14, 2024 8:10 am

rmaxwel wrote:Q13: what effect will occur from the trolling motor battery chemistry being lithium and the engine starting battery chemistry being lead-acid?
I do not see how there could be any element in common between the trolling motor battery (24-Volts) and the engine starting battery (12-Volts), other than perhaps their negative terminal mosts are connected in common. The 12-Volt battery will be charged by the propulsion engine charting circuit. Your new 24-Volt trolling motor battery will apparently be charged by a different "charger", but since you have provided no information about this different "charger" there is no basis to know anything about the new "charger", so predicting any sort of "effect" between the batteries in impossible.

Also, there are many types of battery chemistry using Lithium, so the identification of a battery as being a "lithium" battery really provides no specific information about the chemistry in use. In Lithium battery chemistry, there are several configurations, and each configuration might have its own specifications about the charging voltage and the float voltage.

Generally most lithium batteries are not directed connected to either their load or to their charging source. Most lithium batteries incorporate an internal battery management module. The internal battery management module has the ability to disconnect the battery from its load or charger if the battery management module decides that the load or charging current may harm the battery.

Modern batteries of both lead-acid chemistry and lithium chemistry are generally marked clearly on their cases with specifications for the charging voltage and float voltage preferred.

rmaxwel

Postby rmaxwel » Tue May 14, 2024 12:24 pm

[The installation of new wiring between the console and the bow] was as follows:

• the [combined sidelights lamp at the bow was removed] and the wires [attach to the lamp] were cut];
  • the [remaining wires that were routed to the center console] were attached to an electrician's fish wire
  • at the console the existing wires for the navigation lamp were pulled out, pulling in the electrician's fish wire to the console, using the already existing path;
  • the installer connected two 8-AWG wires [and an additional 14-AWG conductor} to the fish tape, and pulled back to the bow.[/list]

The installer noted that two people were needed to get the new 8-AWG wires pulled through [the path from console to bow].

A new plate will cover the exploratory hole made at the bow, and the trolling motor will be connected permanently at the new plate [to the new 8-AWG circuit].

The 14-AWG conductor pulled in will be for future use.

A 60-Ampere circuit breaker will be installed.

A 110-VAC operated battery charger will be installed.

MarkCz

Postby MarkCz » Tue May 14, 2024 1:25 pm

You may want to add a battery disconnect switch so that you can disconnect your 24-Volt battery from your trolling motor before charging. I have read that charging while still having the trolling motor connected may create problems.

I only mention this because you said you will be hard wiring your trolling motor.

Some circuit breakers can be used as a battery disconnect so that may also be an option.