BEEP BEEP BEEP from Mercury Outboard

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
psnow

BEEP BEEP BEEP from Mercury Outboard

Postby psnow » Sun May 15, 2016 11:11 am

While testing my boat at a lake I noticed [the 2001 Mercury Saltwater Series 200-HP outboard engine warning system's aural alert] was constantly beeping--BEEP--BEEP--BEEP.

[Seeks] ideas [on how to interpret the alarm sounding].

-----

[What follows is a very detailed, long, back story about how the alarm came to sound--jimh]

[I] shut-down the [2001 Mercury Saltwater Series 200-HP outboard engine]. I checked oil tank and it was full. [I] felt [the engine block cylinder] heads, and [I] could keep my hands on them for five seconds.

[With the engine's] cover on, I started up [the 2001 Mercury Saltwater Series 200-HP outboard engine] and [advanced the engine throttle to produce a boat speed of] trolling speed. The alarm aural alert [went] BEEP BEEP BEEP.

Then nothing.

I [advanced the engine] throttle and [the aural alert sound] was a constant BEEEEEEEEEP.

I immediately [reduced throttle]. [The aural alert sound] went away but [the aural alert sound] beeped twice within 20 seconds.

Shut down [the 2001 Mercury Saltwater Series 200-HP outboard engine].

Started [the 2001 Mercury Saltwater Series 200-HP outboard engine]. I smelled oil in exhaust. I [returned to the dock at slow speed]. [The aural alert sounder] beeped twice.

At shore [I] unplugged [an unidentified electrical conductor from] the temperature sensor, grounded [this unidentified electrical conductor] and [the aural alert sound] beeped continuously.

[Next I] unscrewed oil tank, moved float back and forth, and [unclear, perhaps meant oil tank or float or engine or alarm] works.

Started [unclear]. I [pointed] a [thermometer gun device] [at] [the 2001 Mercury Saltwater Series 200-HP outboard engine] and [the reading on the thermometer gun device] was between 140 to 160.

I did [unclear, perhaps meant "installed a new"] a water pump. Both [thermostat valve] and poppet valve last week [unclear what was done with them].

Took [the 2001 Mercury Saltwater Series 200-HP outboard engine] back on water. [In an area with] wake zone speed, [the aural alert sounder made a] BEEP-BEEP.

[Returned to dock] Sat there. [I] trailered my father's [boat].

Then we were going to go out on my boat with the heat temp gun and see what temp was [when] running.

We went out.

The boat drove got to 25-MPH; there was no alarm. Keep [the boat speed] there around the entire lake twice, [a distance of] about 6 miles, and still no alarm.

Gradually brought up [throttle]: still going; no alarm.

[At wide-open throttle and] humming along: no alarm.

Maybe I was [not] hearing the occasion BEEP because of wind. [Reduced throttle until boat speed was at] cruise speeds: no alarm.

[In areas with ] wake zone speeds: no alarm.

Back to WOT: no alarm.

Probably just under 10-miles of running that motor, and no damn alarm!

I sit in wonder without an explanation.

By the way i bought the boat and motor over the Winter.

I guess [the boat and motor] sat the two previous seasons without being used.

I did drain all [fuel] I could. I did use a turkey baster to check for sludge at bottom of both oil tanks. There was no sludge and no water.

jimh

Re: BEEP BEEP BEEP from Mercury Outboard

Postby jimh » Sun May 15, 2016 8:22 pm

[Moved to REPAIRS and MODIFICATIONS for discussion. Replaced the pronoun "it" with what best fit the sentence in dozens of instances of use of that pronoun.]

The Mercury outboard engine alarm modules are notorious for poor reliability. Try these prior discussions:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=site%3Acontinuouswave.com%2Fubb%2FForum3&q=Mercury+BEEP+aural+alert&btnG=Google+Search

Generally these aural alert sounders produce their alert sounds in various cadences and at various circumstances. The operator of the outboard engine has to interpret the cadence of the alert sound and the situation in which the alert sound occurs in order to deduce the meaning of the alert. This is usually explained in detail in the operating manual or owner's guide for the outboard engine. Usually a careful reading of the operating guide will inform about the alarm cadences and the alarm circumstances, permitting the operator to deduce the meaning of the alarm.