Teleflex Steering Helm

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
monroep88

Teleflex Steering Helm

Postby monroep88 » Mon May 23, 2016 12:42 pm

Hello,
This is my first post. I have a 17' Striper with Teleflex rotary steering. Last summer the wheel would sometimes "give" missing a couple clicks before catching again. I've recently taken the boat from storage and unthread the cable from the helm, there were no signs of damage to the cable or crushed grooves. That being said, I can assume the helm may be missing a couple teeth. Would others agree with this? Or should other areas be troubleshot?

Thank you for

jimh

Re: Teleflex Steering Helm

Postby jimh » Tue May 24, 2016 9:01 am

I am not an expert on these helms, but your thinking sounds good to me. Teleflex has good customer support, or at least they did ten years ago when I last spoke to them. You should inquire with them to confirm your suspicions, but I think you are on the right track.

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Tue May 24, 2016 9:46 am

The helm [and] cable that came on my 15-footer were in similar shape. Once they have been forced or jammed, it's done. Teleflex recommends not attempting a repair, but I did anyway. It's not worth the effort; just replace it. In fact the helm and cable kits are not very expensive. I would change both just for safety's sake.

monroep88

Postby monroep88 » Wed May 25, 2016 2:55 pm

Thanks! Per [jimh's] notes, I did call and speak with another Jim. He was extremely helpful and offered ideas for upgrades or tips on how to replace the line. Knew exactly what I was talking about and was able to provide the part number to me over the phone by asking a few simple questions.

GoldenDaze

Postby GoldenDaze » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:42 pm

Before you spend too much time or effort on your cable steering, consider upgrading to a BayStar hydraulic steering system. I replaced the binding cable system on my 160 Dauntless with a BayStar system two years ago, and really I couldn't be happier with it. What a nice upgrade.
2003 160 Dauntless Golden Daze

IslandYak

Postby IslandYak » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:59 pm

I just repowered my 1985 17' Montauk with a 2013 Evinrude E-Tec 90 HO and I also changed the steering helm from Teleflex Safe-T to Teleflex NFB 4.2 and loving it.

Fred