SmartCraft Vessel View went to Windows Screen and can no longer be powered down

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
Cbrinn

SmartCraft Vessel View went to Windows Screen and can no longer be powered down

Postby Cbrinn » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:37 pm

I recently purchased a 2012 Outrage 250 which came with SmartCraft Vessel View. The VesselView monitor has the silver housing and the entire unit measures about 7 inches wide with the screen measuring about 4 inches wide.

From the time I purchased the boat the VesselView worked perfectly. However, on the same day the dealer's sub-contractor installed a raymarine radar unit, a Fusion stereo and a 2nd Raymarine display the VesselView would only display a MS-Windows screen.

The electronics contractor said their installation of radar, 2nd screen, and stereo had nothing to do with the VesselView suddenly only displaying the Windows screen.

Also, after the additional electronics were installed the VesselView could not be turned off! It seemed to be wired to an unswitched power source. The only way the electronics installer could get it to turn off was to physically disconnect the power wire from it.

My first question is: What is the likelihood that the VesselView failure was not caused by something that happened during the radar, screen and stereo installation?

2nd question is: Is it possible that when the Vessel View went to the Windows screen that the inability to turn it off was caused by the software being erased or would it only have been caused by changes in the wiring made by the electronics installer?

3rd question is: Since the VesselView has a USB port on the back of it, is there a way to download the software from Mercury and re-install the software to see if that solves the problem?

4th question is: Has anyone else had similar problems with VesselView and if so, what was the remedy? My dealer is telling me the only way to fix it is to get another VesselView (which Merc has agreed to provide at no cost, but it will require a separate bezel and re-configuration).

I will greatly appreciate any feedback anyone can provide.

jimh

Re: SmartCraft Vessel View went to Windows Screen and can no longer be powered down

Postby jimh » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:48 am

I lack the in-depth knowledge of VesselView hardware and firmware to offer much advice, but in 50 years of working with electronics and electrical devices I learned everything happens for a reason. Random chance usually does not determine how electricity flows. Therefore something must have changed in the power wiring or network wiring to cause the VesselView to go into its present state.

I do not recall any mention of user-installed field firmware updates for Mercury electronics. You will likely need some dealer help.

Call Mercury at their customer assistance hot line--I don't have the telephone number handy.

Cbrinn

Re: SmartCraft Vessel View went to Windows Screen and can no longer be powered down

Postby Cbrinn » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:00 pm

Thanks Jimh.

I agree with your assessment that the likelihood that the VesselView failed independently on the same day that the other electronics were being installed is very, very low.

Turns out I have V1 of SmartCraft VesselView and, even though it has a usb port on the back, Mercury Support told me yesterday the software cannot be updated on V1. Fortunately the Merc Team is providing a new VesselView unit. The new VesselView has a smaller footprint so my dealer is going to fabricate a new bezel to install it in spot the old VesselView and not have it look like a hack job.