1988 Boston Whaler TEMPTATION: Access to Wiring

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
cwkaiser

1988 Boston Whaler TEMPTATION: Access to Wiring

Postby cwkaiser » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:23 am

i have a 1988 Boston Whaler TEMPTATION 25 with problems with the switch panel and lights, and I need to get behind the panel on the starboard side aft of the helm in order to figure out what's wrong. Does anyone have any tips for getting access to that area or wiring diagrams?

Would it be easier just to buy a new harness?

Thanks
CW

Jefecinco

Re: 1988 Boston Whaler TEMPTATION: Access to Wiring

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:56 pm

I doubt you will be able to find a made-up wiring harness for a boat made in 1988. Given the extensive resources available on this site you can probably find a wiring diagram for a Temptation or use a diagram for another 1988 era 25 foot Boston Whaler for general guidance. The usual access to helm wiring is from behind the helm station or by removing the screws from the switch/circuit breaker panel on the dash area and gently pulling the panel away from the dash enough to gain access to the backs of the switches and circuit breakers. Use some care with the panel as they are sometimes easy to damage. The owners manual often has a wiring diagram for the boat. If you are unable to find a diagram elsewhere try to get your hands on an original or copied manual.
Butch

jimh

Re: 1988 Boston Whaler TEMPTATION: Access to Wiring

Postby jimh » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:44 pm

The electrical power distribution wiring and lighting control circuits on c.1988 Boston Whaler boats are typically quite simple and not particularly complex or elaborate. To find a source for an OEM harness for your particular model for the wiring is unlikely. It should not be too hard to fabricate new wiring using quality components.

As for getting access to electrical panels in your c.1988 Boston Whaler boat, if you are stumped try contacting Boston Whaler customer service. Old hands like Chuck Bennett will be very familiar with your c.1988 boat and can help you understand how it was constructed.

Some of the helm electrical panels made from aluminum were fabricated for Boston Whaler by a contractor. See

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... helmPanels

It is not too difficult to fabricate your own new panels using aluminum plate material. Many aluminum distributors have cutting shears and can cut simple rectangular shapes for you.

For some remarks on refurbishment of the electrical power distribution on my c.1990 Boston Whaler boat, see

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/003179.html