This thread has been moved to SMALL BOAT ELECTRICAL for discussion. SMALL BOAT ELECTRICAL contains advice on VHF Marine Band DSC Class-D radios.
Read the article linked below and follow its links to more information regarding installation of a VHF Marine Band radio. There are many elements to consider other than the particular radio model to buy:
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... ation.htmlHere is a survey of VHF Marine Band DSC communication radios presently on the market:
http://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=460On a 16-footer I would get a radio with its own internal GNSS receiver to simplify installation. I find Standard-Horizon radios to be an excellent choice due to their features, the factory support, their performance, and price.
For an antenna for a VHF Marine Band radio on a small boat, in my experience the best arrangement is the one I describe in the article in REFERENCE at
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... tenna.htmlThere is really nothing about "inshore" (which I assume means not more than 20 miles offshore at the farthest) that would change my recommendation for a VHF Marine Band radio. To not get a fixed-mount radio or to not get a DSC radio would be a mistake. By FCC regulations you must have a DSC radio that is at least Class-D. A Class-A radio would be inappropriate for a 16-footer, even if you did not mind the extravagant expense. The antenna I recommend is known to work extremely well--usually better than the often cited "8-foot" antenna. One reason why so many inquiries are made about what "8-foot" antenna is best is due to the existing "8-foot" antenna having broken due to the fiberglass housing having failed or having stuck some overhead obstruction.