Trolling Motor Set-up

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
jimj

Trolling Motor Set-up

Postby jimj » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:39 pm

Hello, new to the new site. Looks great.

I've purchased a Minn Kota 80 24-Volt trolling motor for my 2002 180 Dauntless, and I am wondering if you any of you guys have ever ran electrical for it?

I've been in talks with the Whaler at 800-whaler9 support and have been double-checking diagrams on whalerparts.com like this:

http://whalerparts.com/Diagrams/2002/18 ... 80DA11.pdf

Has anybody ever run a 24-Volt power cable from the junction box on the bow (comes standard with the fishing package) down and up into the console where the batteries would be mounted?

I'm about to decide on this project, and wondering if any of you guys ran into any snags along the way.

Thanks---jim

jimh

Re: Trolling Motor Set-up

Postby jimh » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:16 am

From the diagram in the linked resource, it appears the boat has some wiring between bow and and console for the navigation lamp. I assume the cables you will be adding for the trolling motor will follow that same path.

Is there a conduit in place in the hull for the wiring path from bow to console?

What did Boston Whaler customer service recommend?

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:29 am

I believe Boston Whaler includes a conduit between the console and the forward area where the receptacle for a trolling motor is located in those hulls offered with the fishing package. I base this on my experience with a 1999 Dauntless 16 I previously owned. The buyer was insistent on the purchase being contingent on the conduit being available so he could add the trolling motor option. I agreed after consulting with a Boston Whaler dealer service manager and observing the end of a pipe below deck level at the forward center of the console interior. After drilling through the receptacle with a small bit the space was revealed.

I assume this type of conduit is installed in all hulls offering the fishing package to simplify the installation process during production.
Butch

jimj

Postby jimj » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:49 pm

Thanks guys, I got it installed cleanly like it was from the factory and two agm's in the console whew!!

bw-tm.jpg
bw-tm.jpg (122.56 KiB) Viewed 4364 times

I called Boston Whaler one more time just to double-check before I started punching holes through my fiberglass ;-)

If your in Southern California and you need a trolling motor setup, I'd highly recommend using the Trolling Motor Doc (Nick) in Lakewood:

http://trollingmotordoctor.com/

Thanks again!!

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:23 pm

Appreciate the follow up showing the success of your project. So often, folks fail to let us know the outcome. I'm glad it worked out for you.
Butch