Battery Maintenance Charging

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
rlesneski

Battery Maintenance Charging

Postby rlesneski » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:00 pm

I have a battery charger that says it will charge batteries "up to 30-Ah" and "maintain any size battery...marine included". My marine battery is 70-Ah. Will this trickle-charger-maintainer eventually top off my battery over the winter? I think it was probably around 70-percent-charged when I hooked it up to this little unit. Thanks

jimh

Re: Battery Maintenance Charging

Postby jimh » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:23 am

Your ask:

Will this trickle-charger-maintainer eventually top off my battery over the winter?

There is no way to tell. I suggest you connect the charger to the battery. Measure the terminal voltage that is obtained. Come back one day later and measure the terminal voltage again. If the battery terminal voltage is increasing, then the battery is receiving charging current. I suspect that if you leave the small charger connected long enough, it will charge the 70-Ah battery. Whether or not the charger can get the battery to 0-percent-discharge state is impossible to know based on what you have provided. It may occur that after a long period of charging the small charger just cannot drive the big battery terminal voltage to the absolute full-charge voltage needed. A method to predict if this will occur or not based on the data provided in your narrative is unknown to me.

fno

Re: Battery Maintenance Charging

Postby fno » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:21 pm

It would be helpful if you told us the make and model of charger that you are using. There are many combinations out there and it would be bad advice if we did not know the particular charger specs.