Small Boat Electrical System Overhaul
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:24 am
I want to install a VHF Marine Band radio, a chart plotter, and a SONAR, as well as an audio system. What parts will I need to do this re-wire?
Should I stick with one dual purpose battery and have that run all of my electronics as well, or should I install a starter battery and a deep cycle battery?
Beyond the runs of wire and connectors, what other equipment do I need?
A battery switch?
A new fuse box?
A new power bus negative or positive?
I'm not overly sure what the difference is between a fuse box and a bus. I'm sure the inclusion of fuses is a main differentiating factor, but I am not sure why one would use a bus over a fuse box.
Anything else?
Thanks again for your insight and suggestions.
The backstory: I wish to price a re-wire of my 1989 Montauk 17. I have had electrical problems with the [combined sidelight lamp] on the boat since I bought the boat. I have concluded that the most likely [cause of the problem] is the corrosion of the wiring to the lamp. I called up a buddy of mine who is an electrician and asked him to re-run those wires. I also just purchased a used [white all-round lamp]. I figured I would ask him to hook-up and check the wiring for the [white all-round lamp] while he was there. Then I started thinking: If the electrician is coming out to re-run the [wiring to the bow] and to hook up the [white all-round land], why don't I just ask him to rewire the entire boat? Costs might be the reason to not do the re-wire, and that is where I need your advice.
The battery is currently under the reversible pilot seat (RPS). I don't like it there. I have plans to put a new fuel tank under the RPS, so I would like to move the battery. My first thought was to move the battery back to the stern. I would get a new battery box and strap it down at the stern. Then, I started reading more about putting the battery in the console. I know the owners' manual said not to do this. I did a search of this forum for "move battery from console to stern", and I didn't get any hits. However, I did get a ton of hits for moving the battery from the stern to the console.
If I am going to move the battery to the console, I will and should run new wires from the battery to the engine.
Should I stick with one dual purpose battery and have that run all of my electronics as well, or should I install a starter battery and a deep cycle battery?
Beyond the runs of wire and connectors, what other equipment do I need?
A battery switch?
A new fuse box?
A new power bus negative or positive?
I'm not overly sure what the difference is between a fuse box and a bus. I'm sure the inclusion of fuses is a main differentiating factor, but I am not sure why one would use a bus over a fuse box.
Anything else?
Thanks again for your insight and suggestions.
The backstory: I wish to price a re-wire of my 1989 Montauk 17. I have had electrical problems with the [combined sidelight lamp] on the boat since I bought the boat. I have concluded that the most likely [cause of the problem] is the corrosion of the wiring to the lamp. I called up a buddy of mine who is an electrician and asked him to re-run those wires. I also just purchased a used [white all-round lamp]. I figured I would ask him to hook-up and check the wiring for the [white all-round lamp] while he was there. Then I started thinking: If the electrician is coming out to re-run the [wiring to the bow] and to hook up the [white all-round land], why don't I just ask him to rewire the entire boat? Costs might be the reason to not do the re-wire, and that is where I need your advice.
The battery is currently under the reversible pilot seat (RPS). I don't like it there. I have plans to put a new fuel tank under the RPS, so I would like to move the battery. My first thought was to move the battery back to the stern. I would get a new battery box and strap it down at the stern. Then, I started reading more about putting the battery in the console. I know the owners' manual said not to do this. I did a search of this forum for "move battery from console to stern", and I didn't get any hits. However, I did get a ton of hits for moving the battery from the stern to the console.
If I am going to move the battery to the console, I will and should run new wires from the battery to the engine.


