Two-battery/Two-engine Operation
Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:31 pm
It occurs to me, after owning my [2001 Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 26] boat [with twin Mercury OptiMax 225-HP engines] for five years, that I don’t understand the battery system operation at all (I guess I just had my head in the sand since nothing had gone wrong so far). After we had a dead battery, I looked at the warning on the battery switch door; it says never operate in parallel--which I’ve done maybe 100 times since we’ve owned the boat.
I’ve always just set both [battery switches] to “All” [and this] has never caused a [problem]. This advice came from a guy we hired to go out with us when we first got the boat, so the warning is bad or we’ve been super lucky. I always assumed--I know--that the Port [battery] powered the Port [engine] and the Starboard [battery powered] the Starboard [engine], and the alternator would charge both [batteries] when the engines were running.
We ran the batteries to the point to where they were dead by listening to music and accidentally leaving a water pump on the other day. We needed a jump which made me think about how the system should work. We’ve never had a [problem]--despite the bilge pump being run all winter in this El-Niño year--with just adding a solar panel hooked to each [battery].
I will now set the switches to the correct position going forward but I still don’t understand it:
--accessories seem to work only off of the starboard battery
--should I always set to "ALL" when starting? And then [change the battery switches to] the 1 and 2 positions when running?
--should I then turn off the port battery to make sure I can start if anchored for a while?
--charging just the first battery will allow [engine starting], and I assume that’s because they are hooked up in-line?
I guess I’m lucky not to have gotten into more trouble so far. In any case I think I need two new batteries, but that will be a good starting point to do this better.
Thanks
[Editor's note: I deleted a sideways picture of the text of the battery switch warning label. Here is the text of the label:
PORT BATTERY NORMAL OPERATING POSITION = 1
STBD BATTERY NORMAL OPERATING POSITION = 2
TO PARALLEL BATTERIES, SET BOTH SWITCHES TO THE ALL POSITION.
RETURN TO NORMAL OPERATING POSITION AFTER STARTING.
DO NOT OPERATE BOAT WITH THE BATTERIES IN PARALLEL.
SERIOUS ENGINE ELECTRICAL DAMAGE MAY RESULT.
--jimh]
I’ve always just set both [battery switches] to “All” [and this] has never caused a [problem]. This advice came from a guy we hired to go out with us when we first got the boat, so the warning is bad or we’ve been super lucky. I always assumed--I know--that the Port [battery] powered the Port [engine] and the Starboard [battery powered] the Starboard [engine], and the alternator would charge both [batteries] when the engines were running.
We ran the batteries to the point to where they were dead by listening to music and accidentally leaving a water pump on the other day. We needed a jump which made me think about how the system should work. We’ve never had a [problem]--despite the bilge pump being run all winter in this El-Niño year--with just adding a solar panel hooked to each [battery].
I will now set the switches to the correct position going forward but I still don’t understand it:
--accessories seem to work only off of the starboard battery
--should I always set to "ALL" when starting? And then [change the battery switches to] the 1 and 2 positions when running?
--should I then turn off the port battery to make sure I can start if anchored for a while?
--charging just the first battery will allow [engine starting], and I assume that’s because they are hooked up in-line?
I guess I’m lucky not to have gotten into more trouble so far. In any case I think I need two new batteries, but that will be a good starting point to do this better.
Thanks
[Editor's note: I deleted a sideways picture of the text of the battery switch warning label. Here is the text of the label:
PORT BATTERY NORMAL OPERATING POSITION = 1
STBD BATTERY NORMAL OPERATING POSITION = 2
TO PARALLEL BATTERIES, SET BOTH SWITCHES TO THE ALL POSITION.
RETURN TO NORMAL OPERATING POSITION AFTER STARTING.
DO NOT OPERATE BOAT WITH THE BATTERIES IN PARALLEL.
SERIOUS ENGINE ELECTRICAL DAMAGE MAY RESULT.
--jimh]
