MONTAUK: On-deck Fuel Tank with Electric Tank Level Sender

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
msbrown253

MONTAUK: On-deck Fuel Tank with Electric Tank Level Sender

Postby msbrown253 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:16 am

I know there are a number of on-deck fuel tanks designed to fit under the reversible pilot seat of a classic Montauk.

Are there any configured for a standard electric fuel tank level sender unit for connection to a remote electric gauge?

I know the tank is right there under me, but it's a lot easier to look at a gauge at the helm.

jimh

Re: MONTAUK: On-deck Fuel Tank with Electric Tank Level Sender

Postby jimh » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:09 pm

I don't recall seeing any portable on-deck fuel tanks that have incorporated a electric tank level sender to feed a signal to a remote fuel tank level gauge, but that does not mean you couldn't add one to a particular tank. The most important criterion for the tank is to have a flat area at the top of the tank where you could install the electrical sender. Usually there is a circular flange for mounting, and you will need a flat area with a diameter larger than the sender's mounting flange.

Also, there might be some concerns about connecting an electrical tank level sender to a non-conductive plastic tank. I know that this is done with larger non-metal tanks, but you should check with the ABYC recommendations regarding non-conductive tanks. They may offer some advice and cautions.

You can get some interesting electrical or electronic fuel tank level senders these days. I wrote about several options in an article in 2005. See

FUEL TANK LEVEL SENDER: ELECTRICAL
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000632.html

I think one of these modern senders would be a better approach to adding a tank level sender to a portable plastic on-deck fuel tank because they probably will mount more easily. They are just a cylindrical sensor that goes down into the tank, as opposed to a mechanically-linked floating arm that has to connect to a rheostat.

msbrown253

Postby msbrown253 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Thank you. I had some of the same concerns about the non-conductive tank. I tried emailing Moeller, but I haven't gotten a reply yet. My water tank in my camper utilizes a simple system of electrical contacts, but it required drilling holes at the 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and Full levels, and it only illuminates an LED at the corresponding level. And if it leaks, my floor gets wet. Nothing explodes! Hopefully Moeller gets back too me, that would be the best answer I would think.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:57 pm

I don't recommend drilling holes into the side walls of your gasoline fuel tank in order to use some level sensors designed for use with water tanks.

I updated all the hyperlinks in my 2005 article so that they continue to point to presently available resources from the various vendors.

msbrown253

Postby msbrown253 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:19 pm

jimh wrote:I don't recommend drilling holes into the side walls of your gasoline fuel tank in order to use some level sensors designed for use with water tanks.

I updated all the hyperlinks in my 2005 article so that they continue to point to presently available resources from the various vendors.

Nope, would never even think of doing that! And it wouldn't give the correct readout anyway. Need something with the correct 33-240 Ohm variable resistance, not a set of 4 on/off contacts.

msbrown253

Postby msbrown253 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:29 pm

http://doc.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... mation.pdf

This is what made me wonder. The 031626 tank is the one they built specifically for the Montauks. The newer barrier version seems to have provisions for a level sender already included. Granted, that's a lot more money to add a gauge, but I need to replace my tank with something bigger anyway. Currently only have about 12 gallons. (It's a single replacement, not the orignal dual tanks).

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:39 pm

The PDF file (linked above) indicates that the "barrier version" tanks, that is, the ones necessary for compliance with EPA regulations, no longer have the tank level gauge incorporated in the filler cap (as the earlier models used). Those "barrier version" tanks (with "BR" in their part numbers) will already have a separate tank level gauge installed into the top of the tank.

Without seeing one of these in person, my impression is the best approach to installation of an electric fuel tank level sender into the tank would likely be to replace the mechanical tank level gauges already installed. I don't know it that is feasible, as the method of fitting the mechanical gauge to the tank top surface is not clearly described. If the existing gauge is fitted with some sort of adhesive instead of with mechanical fasteners, it may be hard to remove it. I recommend you look at one in person to assess how easily you could remove the existing tank level gauge.

Another option appears to be in the 3-inch diameter hole in the top of the tank that was made during fabrication to "allow for the barrier material to be loaded during production." If that 3-inch diameter opening is sealed with some sort of circular plate, a gasket, and seven screw fasteners (as shown in the drawing in the PDF), that might be the easiest place to install a new sender.

BDBinWV

Postby BDBinWV » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:11 am

I recently purchased a Mirax aluminum 12-gallon fuel tank with an electric fuel level sending unit for my Montauk. I wasn't happy with the performance of the electric fuel level sending unit that Mirax installed so I replaced it with a WEMA unit. The WEMA fuel level sensor seems to be much more accurate, and the actual fuel level readings do not vary as much while moving as they did with the swing arm type sending unit. I'm very happy at this point with the overall purchase of the MIrax tank and the WEMA sending unit.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:02 pm

Many thanks for joining the discussion with your first-hand information and comments on the WEMA fuel tank level sender.