Mahogany Console and Helm Bench Seat Height Modification

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
rtk

Mahogany Console and Helm Bench Seat Height Modification

Postby rtk » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:39 am

I will be installing a replacement mahogany console and helm bench seat in my 1966 16'7" Boston Whaler. Over the past year I have purchased used original replacement parts so the wood console and seat are original Boston Whaler equipment.

I would like the final installation height to be higher than the original installation height. I am thinking approximately 4 to 6 inches higher so I am not hunched over running the boat.

I will be placing both the seat and the console in the boat to determine this once the cover is off for the winter but for the time being I was wondering if anyone has done this.

If so, if you would please share with me the methodology you utilized to elevate the console and pilot seat I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Rich

Phil T

Re: Mahogany Console and Helm Bench Seat Height Modification

Postby Phil T » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:54 pm

Rich -

If you are tall (6'0+) then a 6" rise is recommended but testing a mockup is warranted.

Have you considered Larry's (LHG) design for the riser?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v429/lgoltz/Montauk%2017/Scan_Pic0036.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v429/lgoltz/Montauk%2017/Scan_Pic0037.jpg

Photo Credit: Larry (LHG)

(P.S. Nice to see you back)
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

rtk

Postby rtk » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:56 am

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the welcome back and the photos- that's very helpful. I do now remember where I saw the console and seat elevation and now do remember it was Larry that did it.

Rich

ferdinando

Postby ferdinando » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:28 am

Make's me almost want to trade my 190 back for my old 17, Larry's boat is simply stunning!!

Don McIntyre - MI

Postby Don McIntyre - MI » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:44 pm

I'm 6'3" and I raised the factory console on our current 1973 Outrage by three or possibly four inches, for comparison.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:49 pm

A riser for a Reversible Pilot Seat can take many forms. Here is one being made by Nautical Lumber:

riserForRPS.jpg
Nautical Lumber RPS Riser
riserForRPS.jpg (33.02 KiB) Viewed 7169 times

Of all the RPS seat risers and console risers I have seen, the ones I like the most were made by Jerry ( aka Spouter) for his OUTRAGE 22. Jerry adds a bit of slope to the contour of the risers which is more appealing than the rather blunt ones often seen. See below:

Jerry is a professional painter and an excellent craftsman. The wood details and varnish on his boat are second to none.

More about this topic at

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/011872.html

rtk

Postby rtk » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:08 am

Thank you Jim for the additional photos- that is a very nice job Jerry did. I'm only 5'10" tall but I am most comfortable, and my lower back is happiest, standing as straight up as possible when running the boat. All of the suggestions and photos are very helpful. --Rich

rlboeri

Postby rlboeri » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:26 am

Hi All. When I get my Montauk back from being re-powered, I plan on raising the RPS by about 4 inches. Bought some really nice mahogany boards this weekend so that I can build a system as shown above.

If the screws holding the RPS to the blocks don't go all the way through into the deck (which seems to be what everyone is suggesting), how do you use the same holes to connect the blocks to the deck?

I am sure it is easy, my brain just isn't working when I look at it. I don't want new holes in the deck.

Also, would you suggest that the bottom blocks be epoxy coated, or just varnish the whole thing? Thanks again for all of your input--Bob

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:22 am

Your inquiry about the method of fastening these risers to the deck is a good one. I don't recall that the method of fastening has been explained in detail. Perhaps one of the several owners who have added a rise can explain their method. Or perhaps it can be found in the archives.

One method I can see is that the bottom-most plank of the rise would be fasted to the deck with a countersunk screw using the original holes in the deck. The next plank or course of planks is fastened to the one below, again with a countersunk screw, but offset from the original hole location. The seat base is fastened to the top plank with the exposed screws. The seat base would cover the other fasteners holding the top plank to the planks below so they are not seen.

Of course, the alternative method would be to use an extremely long screw that passes through a hole in all the blocks.