Two-lever Remote Throttle and Shift Controls

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
TCinVA

Two-lever Remote Throttle and Shift Controls

Postby TCinVA » Sun May 08, 2016 12:04 pm

Hello. I just bought a Morse-style two-lever remote control for my Mercury 250 EFI outboard. [The remote control] has the usual left lever with black knob and right lever with red knob configuration. I have never operated a boat with this type of control and the two levers are mechanically the same. My instinct says the left lever with black knob should be the shift control and the right lever with red knob should be the throttle.

Is there a standard set up?

I couldn't find anything online pertaining to this. I don't want it to be the opposite of a typical installation if there is one. I would appreciate any feedback you may have, thank you.

jimh

Re: Two-lever Remote Throttle and Shift Controls

Postby jimh » Sun May 08, 2016 2:42 pm

While not particularly authoritative, this webpage

http://www.downwindmarine.com/Teleflex-Morse-Engine-Control-Lever-Knobs-p-90892284.html

mentions that:

--the RED knob is used for THROTTLE, and

--the BLACK knob is used for SHIFT (or transmission).

Another website that covers boating basics

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/in_charge.htm

says, in their lesson one entry, these same color assignments are the norm:

--RED is throttle

--BLACK is shift

As for which lever is on Port and which is on Starboard (we don't use left and right for directions on a boat), I used a GOOGLE IMAGE search to research this question. Many images of two-lever remote throttle and shift controls came up, and there did not seem to be complete uniformity for assignment of the colors to the Port and Starboard levers.

As a right-hand-dominant person, I would prefer the throttle to be best available to my right hand, and that would generally mean the throttle handle would be on Starboard. That's how I'd set it up.

It's your boat, and I don't think very many other people will be operating the controls. Set up the controls so they work best for you.

porthole

Postby porthole » Tue May 10, 2016 9:39 am

Red throttle
Black shift
Color really doesn't matter, and if so desired you could swap out the knobs for gold or silver anodized aluminum knobs.

Every single engine boat I ever ran that had two levers were always port shift, starboard throttle
Every twin engine boat I ever ran with twin controls were outboard levers throttle, inboard levers shift.

With a single control with dual levers on the starboard side (which was how all the boats I ran were setup), it was more comfortable to use my right and, resting on the control to operate the throttle. Mostly smaller boats were you are constantly adjust the throttle for comfort
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1999 Outrage 21, Yamaha SW Series II 200
1997 Outrage 18, Yamaha 125
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Tue May 10, 2016 4:15 pm

I have never seen a twin lever Morse control used for an outboard, only twins or a single inboard.

Are you sure you don't want change it out for a single lever Morse control?
http://www.fisheriessupply.com/teleflex-marine-ch5300-dual-function-lever-engine-control-single-ch5310p
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

kwik_wurk

Postby kwik_wurk » Thu May 12, 2016 11:12 am

If this dual lever control is going on a classic center console I would be a little nervous about an accidental bump of the shift lever at high RPM. One good thunk and you'll chew through the lower unit on the Merc. (I don't think it has a shift lock-out.) (And yes there are a lot of high performance boats with dual lever controls, but those often have proper helm stations (seating/belts). --- While an accidental bump can happen on a single lever dual action control, at least the RPM's will drop first. (Which is why single lever dual action is such a good/intuitive design.)

To answer your question, RED-Throttle, Black-Shift. Typically Red is inboard (closer to the helm), Black Outboard (further away from the helm); and typically installed to STBD of the helm. -- If a two dual controls are side by side, the pattern is Shift-Throttle-Throttle-Shift (this is so you can control both engine RPM's with one hand). If two independent single arm single action controls are on either side of the helm, most common is Shift (black) to STBD, and Throttle to Port. (But this combination does vary.)

TCinVA

Postby TCinVA » Sun May 15, 2016 2:29 pm

Thank you for the feedback. I am sure I want to use it, I like the smoothness and they look good to me.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue May 17, 2016 9:11 am

There is a good prior discussion on the topic of using two-lever remote controls for an outboard engine at

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/007408.html

Sebastian

Postby Sebastian » Tue May 17, 2016 12:14 pm

Hi all! I recently went to a dual lever morse control for my single outboard (1984 Johnson 75 HP) 17 whaler. I have it set up as JIMH mentions above, Black is shift, red is throttle.

I have used this set up for over a year and love it. I feel I have more control with this set up, and yes I pay more attention when docking!

I have 2 young boys and I had the same concerns on accidentally bumping the controls while running. It has been bumped and the worst that has happened is a slight surge in throttle, very rare occurrence. Once in gear and above 1000 rpm the shift does not seem to move freely, you have to decrease the rpm to shift. I'm not sure if this is unique to my set up though.

Picture of my current set up.
Attachments
console complete.jpg
console complete.jpg (144.37 KiB) Viewed 14038 times

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu May 19, 2016 1:58 pm

That is a great installation. Thanks for showing us your nice work.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Thu May 19, 2016 4:55 pm

Sebastian -

Nicely done.

Is that Garmin mounted via a rail mount? Can you provide details of the install and review? Maybe a separate thread.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Sebastian

Postby Sebastian » Fri May 20, 2016 3:51 pm

Hi Phil - not a rail mount. I used a RAM mount on the console. I just mounted the Garmin on the RAM mount. Standard install on the Garmin and transducer. I used a clamshell to snake the wires through into the console top. I also added a piece of starboard and mounted a stand alone Garmin GPS next to the Garmin 541s.

Overall, I'm happy with the Garmin 541s, with the Airmar P66 transducer I can easily spot baitfish and predator fish marks. All functionality has worked as designed and has been dependable (about 4 or 5 years now). The GPS, speed and track/route functions are useful when trolling and going back over a productive area.

I also like to know how many miles and time I spent on the water, it helps me track gas consumption etc.

I will say that next time I will go for a bigger screen, maybe 7 inches as I think I have enough room for it. The RAM mount helps keep the console top area available for sunglasses and other stuff.

Let me know if you need further info and I'll be happy to help. Thanks
Attachments
garmin pic.jpg
garmin pic.jpg (160.23 KiB) Viewed 13988 times
clamshell.jpg
clamshell.jpg (133.81 KiB) Viewed 13988 times
console top.jpg
console top.jpg (185.53 KiB) Viewed 13988 times