1986 OUTRAGE 25: Total Weight Including Trailer

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
bcoastal

1986 OUTRAGE 25: Total Weight Including Trailer

Postby bcoastal » Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:50 pm

What will be the total weight of a 1986 OUTRAGE 25 on its trailer, including the trailer?

There is no weigh station around me. I need a good guess for the weight.

Hull = 3300
Large t top = 150
leaning post = 50
Honda 250 = 650
100 gallons of fuel (yes I installed a smaller tank) = 650
trolling motor and 5 batteries = 350
Full ice chest = 250
Gear = 50
Wires and electronics = 100lbs
Sportsman galvanized trailer = 1500

Total comes to around 7000-lbs

Am I missing something?

Am I way off?

Phil T

Re: Re: 1986 OUTRAGE 25: Total Weight Including Trailer

Postby Phil T » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:39 pm

[Your analysis of the total weight on the boat and trailer as about 7,000-lbs] looks good.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Re: 1986 OUTRAGE 25: Total Weight Including Trailer

Postby jimh » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:55 pm

To make a guess at your boat total weight with engines and gear, take the dry hull weight and double it. Then add the trailer weight. Using your weight numbers:

2 x 3,300-lbs = 6,600-lbs for boat and gear

Adding the 1,500-lbs of trailer gives

6,600-lbs + 1,500-lbs = 8,100-lbs

Use a 3/4-ton truck with a tow rating of 11,000-lbs or more, and use a weight distributing hitch to safely haul that load.

To get a real number, go to a certified scale. Those scales are usually adjacent to interstate highways or state highways where the weight of large trucks is routinely monitored by roadside weigh stations. You can also find truck scales in agricultural area where farm products are sold by weight by farmers to processing companies.

Here is an example:

My 1990 REVENGE 22 Walk-Through Whaler Drive boat has a bare hull weight of 2,600-lbs. Doubling that weight gives an estimated weight of 5,200-lbs. I have weighed my boat and trailer at a certified truck scale. I cannot weigh the boat itself, but weighing the boat and the trailer, then deducting the weight of the trailer based on the manufacturer's specifications and allowing for added weight of a spare time and some other added gear, I deduced the boat weight to be 4,350-lbs. You can see the details in an article I wrote at

Boat Weight From Certified Scale
https://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/016667.html

In addition to being able to deduce the weight of the boat, getting both the truck and trailer weighed with the boat and re-weighed without the boat will give you a great deal of other very useful and very important information about the distribution of the total weights onto the many points that bear that weight, including:

• the steering axle of the truck
  • the drive axle of the truck
  • the hitch ball of the truck
  • the trailer axle or axles (but not individually)

Once you have all these individual loads, you can compare the load weight with the ratings for each axle and each tire. You very likely will be surprised at the weight loads you find when you compare them to the truck manufacturer's ratings for each axle and for each tire. The tongue weight is also a very important weight to deduce and consider. The combined gross vehicle weight of truck and trailer is also an important weight to be considered, particularly in comparison to the truck combined gross vehicle weight (CGVW) rating, which is important to consider in terms of braking power.

If you want know the weight of your boat when you are aboard and underway, you will have to account for any added fuel loads that differ from the scale weighing date, for your own weight added to the boat, and for any additional persons or gear added to the boat. In the case of my boat, I have estimated that the total boat weight when the boat is in the water with typical crew and gear grew to almost 5,000-lbs.

Note that the simple method of estimating the boat weight by doubling the dry bare hull weight resulted in this case in a variation of only 230-lbs between the guessed weight (5,200-lbs) and the deduced weight (4,970-lbs) based on measurements on a certified truck scale.