Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: The Whaler GAM or General Area
  Satellite EPIRB

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   Satellite EPIRB
Kim posted 07-29-2001 01:04 PM ET (US)   Profile for Kim   Send Email to Kim  
I ordered a ACR Satellite2 406 EPIRB dose any one have one? did you register it with coast guard ? or fax your registerion ?
thanks, kim.
bigz posted 07-30-2001 06:18 AM ET (US)     Profile for bigz    
Kim, why did you go with a 406? Are you going way offshore (40-100 miles+)?

Just curious, since near shore a Class B according to the information I have is the practical and cost effective unit of choice.
It was suggested the ACR Magnum B at around $215 vs. the Sat2 406 at $700 was more than enough for coastal and less than 40 miles offshore safety.

We have an older ACR Class B and the battery is now dated so thinking of replacing it with the Magnum B. The battery replacement will cost about half of the price of a new Mag B, and the Mag B batteries are easily replaceable lithium battery with a 6 year replacement life.

Kim posted 07-30-2001 09:39 AM ET (US)     Profile for Kim  Send Email to Kim     
bigz ; I do go off shore 40/80 miles. I paid 690.00 for it, to mt frout door . got it at consumers marine electronics. they have batts. for yours I think. I'm going to buy a furuno 1850df from them. they seam to have the best price on electonics. and no TAX . shiping was only 11 bucks. thanks for the reply!
bigz posted 07-30-2001 10:04 AM ET (US)     Profile for bigz    
Thanks Kim for the answer too my curiosity.

What type of Whaler are you using for 40 to 80 mile offshore jaunts?

Actually smart to have one if out 20 miles where VHF has questionable reception.

Sorry didn't respond to you question. I think registration with CG is optional, I know that if offshore more than 12 miles and you don't cross into another country's waters a license for VHF radios, radar and EPIRB isn't required --- not sure with Mexico or the Bahamas on this reg. might be some agreement.

bigz posted 07-30-2001 10:35 AM ET (US)     Profile for bigz    
Kim registration is with the FCC not the USCG for 406 class units, class B no registration required.

Since effective VHF range is about 20 miles a EPIRB is a good safety measure.

Great price --- CME is in NJ I'd get socked with tax ---

daverdla posted 07-30-2001 06:48 PM ET (US)     Profile for daverdla  Send Email to daverdla     
Off topic, just noticed you're in NJ. There's an Outrage called "Lady Z" in Wildwood.
Kim posted 07-31-2001 09:00 AM ET (US)     Profile for Kim  Send Email to Kim     
bigz; I have a montauk17. I repowered it last year/with suzuki DF70 4 stroke. and this year I put a simrad SR14 autopilot for these trips. also changed the steering to HYD.
I had time to call CG in san diego. they told me they could reg. & test it for free. mon.thru fri. 10AM to 2PM hard for me to get off work. bur worth it, to make time.
I always try to buy any big $ item out of state to save on the tax. here in calif. gray davis takes our tax $ and buys power and the turns around and sells it back to us. stupid s___.
thanks for the replys!
bigz posted 07-31-2001 09:14 AM ET (US)     Profile for bigz    
Kim, sounds like a great set up. That is a swell offer by the CG even if you have to make the time.

Dave, interesting afraid no "relation" though. We have the big "gals" down on the Delaware Bay and keep the little "gals" up here in NW-NJ. We did own a 20 Outrage sold it a couple years ago and it has since been resold and the fellow has moved up to a 25 does his boating out of Delaware. Tom

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.