Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: The Whaler GAM or General Area
  Hull Decorative Stripe Replacement

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   Hull Decorative Stripe Replacement
nickdemco posted 04-01-2015 05:45 PM ET (US)   Profile for nickdemco   Send Email to nickdemco  
Hi. I ribbed the dock and ruined the racing stripe along the hull of my Boston Whaler boat. How can I go about replacing this? Thanks--Nick
Ridge Runner posted 04-01-2015 09:20 PM ET (US)     Profile for Ridge Runner  Send Email to Ridge Runner     
You don't state the year of your boat, but for newer Whalers you can order the decal from any dealer. For older boats please review the information in this link from CW's reference section:
nickdemco posted 04-01-2015 10:01 PM ET (US)     Profile for nickdemco  Send Email to nickdemco     
The boat is a 1989 27 Full Cabin
Jeff posted 04-01-2015 10:20 PM ET (US)     Profile for Jeff  Send Email to Jeff     
If it's just the black stripe, most marine and auto parts and detailing stores carry rolls of black vinyl striping in varying widths. That is all you need. In the meantime, a cleanly applied 3M electrical tape "patch" can cover the area.

I know some have gotten Magic Brush to do them for their boats too.

Jefecinco posted 04-02-2015 08:59 AM ET (US)     Profile for Jefecinco  Send Email to Jefecinco     
The ends of some of the red stripe trim on my Whaler has started to lift and curl. I hate trying to replace long pieces of trim because I can never seem to get it as precisely aligned as the factory application. So I applied just a dab of of Loctite gel super glue to the corners of the stripes to make them last a little longer without looking awful. It seems to have done the job. If it lasts for a year or two I'll feel that it was worth doing.

I've heard that clear fingernail polish can be used but I doubt it has much staying power.


jimh posted 04-02-2015 09:21 AM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
I believe on a boat hull the term for a decorative stripe applied to a hull below the gunwales is cove stripe. Compare at

Jefecinco posted 04-02-2015 06:46 PM ET (US)     Profile for Jefecinco  Send Email to Jefecinco     

You're right. Thanks for that reminder. I often forget proper nautical terms which I seldom use or see.


Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.