Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Whaler Repairs/Mods
  Straight Waterline

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   Straight Waterline
DIVE 1 posted 01-13-2001 11:05 AM ET (US)   Profile for DIVE 1  
Thought this might be helpful for anyone adding or replacing a waterline for bottom painting or adding striping.

Tools required:Laser level($20.00), VCR tripod, Pencil

1. Mark the bow and stern of the hull with a pencil to indicate the ends of the line.
2. Wire tie the laser level to the camera mount on a VCR tripod.
3. Set tripod about 20' from the side of the hull towards the bow.
4. Swing laser on tripod to ensure beam hits all contours of hull(especially under chine and spray rails). If beam misses any portion of the hull, move tripod(usually towards bow), reswing the laser and verify the beam hits all of the contours. Repeat this step as necessary.
5. Swing laser from bow to stern marks. Note height difference, adjust trailer tongue jack until marks are level.
6. Adjust tripod height so laser is same height from ground as pencil marks on the hull.
7. Swing laser from bow to stern and make final adjustments to trailer jack and tripod as needed.
8. Have an assistant start at the bow and make a pencil mark every few inches as you swing the laser beam towards the stern pencil mark on the hull.
9. When you have all of the pencil marks on the hull, swing the laser back towards the bow and verify that nothing shifted and the line is straight.

We have used this technique on wooden lapstrake hulls and the water lines are true and straight every time.

Note: There is also a laser available that portrays a wide angle line(one continuous line from the bow mark to the stern mark), but the cost is substantially higher.

Arch Autenreith posted 01-13-2001 10:51 PM ET (US)     Profile for Arch Autenreith  Send Email to Arch Autenreith     
Dive 1
I have been thinking how to do that before I put it in the water this spring. This will do the trick.
Again, thanks.
Toad2001 posted 01-18-2001 09:04 PM ET (US)     Profile for Toad2001  Send Email to Toad2001     
Dive 1,
I plan to do this job in the spring. (Terminology question) I assume a VCR tripod is a Camera/Video Camera Tripod? Also, where can I purchase a Laser Level ($20)? I haven't seen them for sale before (but I haven't really looked).
DIVE 1 posted 01-18-2001 09:16 PM ET (US)     Profile for DIVE 1    
Oops, shows you how old my tripod is. Use a video camera tripod, the head unit seems to rotate better than a tripod made for a 35mm camera. An inexpensive laser can be purchased from Northern Hydraulics.

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.