Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Whaler Repairs/Mods
  dash guages

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   dash guages
simonmeridew posted 04-30-2001 09:07 PM ET (US)   Profile for simonmeridew   Send Email to simonmeridew  
What dash guages came as standard on my '84 Montauk?. Right now there's the OMC Tachometer that came with the Johnson. Plus behind the steering wheel (helm??) is a kind of bezel that looks like it used to have a guage in it; the whole thing is round, about 2 1/2 inches diam. with a hole about1/2 in in the middle. I wonder what this used to be. I'm like the 3rd or 4th owner.
Tom W Clark posted 04-30-2001 09:28 PM ET (US)     Profile for Tom W Clark  Send Email to Tom W Clark     
I don't believe an '84 Montauk would have come from Whaler with any gauges. The gauges would have been installed by the dealer when they rigged the motor and would most likely match the brand of outboard.

I'm not sure I understand where this 2 1/2" hole is. Is it on top of the console? On the dash? Could it be for a compass? 2 1/2" is not a standard gauge hole size.

simonmeridew posted 04-30-2001 11:12 PM ET (US)     Profile for simonmeridew  Send Email to simonmeridew     
I went out and measured the round thing: 2 3/8 diameter, with a 1/2 inch diam. hole. Located just to the left of the steering wheel, just below the key switch mechanism. but above the various switches for the nav lites accessory switch and fuses.
Otherwise I have a tach and a voltmeter located elsewhere on the right of the wheel. Like was said, this stuff may have been wired up according to the OMC (or previous) power requirements, but I was just wondering what another guage might be for. Maybe a trim/tilt switch?? the current one is on the throttle control handle. Any help is thankfully received.
To try to describe the appearance of the thing: it looks something like there was a "Skoal" can, without the lid, with a 1/2 hole in the middle, fastened to the dash. Just wondering what it was.
Tom W Clark posted 05-01-2001 12:21 AM ET (US)     Profile for Tom W Clark  Send Email to Tom W Clark     
I have no idea. perhaps a surface mount speedomter? Is there a pitot tube on the transom?
KCarlsen posted 05-01-2001 11:59 AM ET (US)     Profile for KCarlsen  Send Email to KCarlsen     
It sounds like a mounting bracket for a warning light (ie over temp, low oil psi). My new Mercury 4 stroke came with one but I opted for the horn instead that mounts under the console.
Bullbay posted 05-02-2001 10:29 PM ET (US)     Profile for Bullbay  Send Email to Bullbay     
I would think it was a tilt/trim gauge.
Hank posted 05-03-2001 11:43 PM ET (US)     Profile for Hank  Send Email to Hank     
My '84 Montauk has a Tach and a Tilt/Trim gage mounted behind the steering wheel. I have an '84 90Hp Evinrude. If your engine has power tilt/trim you should see the sending device at the engine.

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.