Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Whaler Repairs/Mods
  cooler chalk designs

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   cooler chalk designs
John O posted 08-07-2002 09:37 PM ET (US)   Profile for John O  
Looking for any info on making cooler chauks to raise 94qt cooler and secure to my 88 Newtauk. Does anyone have a pattern or pictures . Have looked at several old post discussing the making but I need some specifics. Igloo's kit does not fit as the cooler front touches where the deck begins to rise.
jimh posted 08-07-2002 11:05 PM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
John O posted 08-07-2002 11:09 PM ET (US)     Profile for John O    
Yeah, the wooden things that hold the cooler in place. Any ideas?
jimh posted 08-08-2002 03:03 PM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
Those cooler thingies are generally called "cooler cleats". You can find a picture of them at Cetacea Page 10 .
aubv posted 08-08-2002 04:49 PM ET (US)     Profile for aubv  Send Email to aubv     
John O,

The "cooler thingys" (aka chocks in my book) but who am I to argue with jimh, so cleats it is ;-), are only about 50 bucks each in starboard from local BW dealers. Not sure how much the wooden ones are.
I thought about making them but hardly seem worth it when I could spend the time using the boat instead.

John O posted 08-08-2002 10:30 PM ET (US)     Profile for John O    
Thanks-- sounds like an item to buy... the "thingies"
whalersman posted 08-09-2002 12:14 AM ET (US)     Profile for whalersman  Send Email to whalersman     
I just received my Cooler Cleats from a Boston Whaler Dealer. Inside was a shipping invoice from Boston Whaler in Edgewater, Flordia. The invoice stated, "1: CLEAT, HDPE" and then the description of the cleat for the boat. This was for one Cleat, but the quantiy was 2 ea.
For what it's worth. These were the Starboard versions for the later Outrages.
John O posted 08-09-2002 12:07 PM ET (US)     Profile for John O    
Thanks for the info,....have a great weekend!

mid 80's here in Gloucester Ma this weekend !

jimh posted 08-09-2002 02:13 PM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
cleat (klêt) n. 3.a length of wood or the like fixed to a surface, as a ramp, to give a firm foothold or to maintain an object in place.
Taylor posted 08-09-2002 02:15 PM ET (US)     Profile for Taylor  Send Email to Taylor     
Chocks is what I call them, pronouced like the stuff you use on a blackboard. One meaning of cleat appears to be a synonym.

The Montauk version differs from the Outrage version. Montauk ones do not enclose the ends of the cooler.

Taylor posted 08-09-2002 02:19 PM ET (US)     Profile for Taylor  Send Email to Taylor     
chock 1 : a wedge or block for steadying a body (as a cask) and holding it motionless, for filling in an unwanted space, or for blocking the movement of a wheel.

Looks synonymous to me. I'm not even going to try for the diacritical mark on the prounciation. But I'm impressed with our moderator!

John O posted 08-10-2002 09:37 AM ET (US)     Profile for John O    
We called my college room mate "Wedge" because the def. is "The simplest tool know to man".... I do not think he cared for that much.
John O posted 08-10-2002 09:41 AM ET (US)     Profile for John O    
hey... it's early and I am off to the Daulk...I mean dock in my caaaahhh as we say here in the Northeast.
jimh posted 08-10-2002 11:26 AM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
Chocks, in the sense of a wedge to make something immoveable, are usually temporary, like wheel chocks on a trailer. Cleats are usually fixed in place.

You can call them what you want but on this FORUM we go with Whaler and call them cooler cleats.

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.