Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Whaler Repairs/Mods
  Stainless Rod Holders?

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   Stainless Rod Holders?
bkoelbel posted 01-11-2003 11:18 AM ET (US)   Profile for bkoelbel   Send Email to bkoelbel  
I'm looking to replace the black plastic rod holders that extend through the teak gunwales on my 1986 20' Outrage.

Not the 'below gunwale' rod holders previously addressed on this forum.

Can anyone out there recommend a brand / manufacturer?

Appreciate your thoughts, thanks.

JBCornwell posted 01-11-2003 12:00 PM ET (US)     Profile for JBCornwell  Send Email to JBCornwell     
Black plastic rod holders??? Never saw, or even heard of them on a Whaler.

Try Lee Marine or Perko. Both make excellent SS rod holders. The original, OEM rod holders were Lee.

Red sky at night. . .

bkoelbel posted 01-11-2003 02:44 PM ET (US)     Profile for bkoelbel  Send Email to bkoelbel     
JB - might you have a website for Lee Marine? No luck thru Google, please advise.
JBCornwell posted 01-11-2003 03:12 PM ET (US)     Profile for JBCornwell  Send Email to JBCornwell     
No, I haven't, but I did find a quad of pre-owned Lee SS rodholders on Ebay last summer. I think the four went for around $120.

I believe West Marine sells the Lee rodholders. Big bux. I think they run around $60-$70 each. The Perko are not as heavy duty, but are attractive and a lot less money.

Avoid the plated ones. Bronze or base-metal, they don't hold up in a marine environment.

Red sky at night. . .

dgp posted 01-11-2003 06:31 PM ET (US)     Profile for dgp  Send Email to dgp
What they don't show on their web site is the Lee clamp-on version that is available through Shoreway Marine.
Tom W Clark posted 01-11-2003 11:39 PM ET (US)     Profile for Tom W Clark  Send Email to Tom W Clark     

If you have black plastic rod holders in the gunwale boards of your Outrage, then somebody else put them in there. Whaler always used the Lee's flush mount rod holders as JB describes above. Your Outrage 20 would have had a pair of them as standard equipment when new.

These rod holders are available from most any good chandlery including West Marine, Boat US, Boater's World, Shoreway Marine, ect.

Of the four different models of 30 degree flush mount rod holders that Lee's makes, it is the smaller 9", chrome over brass rod holder that is what Whaler used. Boater's World seems to have the best price on these at about $40 each.

jstachowiak posted 01-12-2003 10:17 AM ET (US)     Profile for jstachowiak  Send Email to jstachowiak     
These are the ones I put on my Newport, best ones for the price with caps.

etstmeb posted 01-12-2003 03:36 PM ET (US)     Profile for etstmeb  Send Email to etstmeb     
There are two Lee Flush 90 degree on ebay right now.

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.