Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Whaler Repairs/Mods
  1999 23 Conquest Raw Water Valve

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   1999 23 Conquest Raw Water Valve
csj posted 04-25-2015 10:39 AM ET (US)   Profile for csj   Send Email to csj  
On my 1999 Boston Whaler 23 Conquest, I just realized there is some sort of valve at the stern pick-up for the raw water intake. What is the purpose of the valve. I might add it's very difficult to get to. The arm is currently vertical, and I assume that is open. Can anyone shed some light please.
jimh posted 04-25-2015 10:52 AM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
My interpretation of your narrative: you describe a through-hull fitting with a ball valve having a control handle. The orientation of the control hand to be in-line with the axis of the flow through the valve suggests the valve is open.

The purpose of a valve on a through-hull water pick-up is to close the supply of water downstream of the valve. This might be done to reduce the risk of the interior of the boat filling with water should any of the hoses connected to the water inlet fail.

What equipment is connected to this water pick up? This may also give you some hint about the purpose of the valve.

csj posted 04-25-2015 11:03 AM ET (US)     Profile for csj  Send Email to csj     
The pick up is for the raw water wash down and bait well, which has worked well for past years. Last year it appeared the ShurFlo pump may have out lived itself. I just put on a new pump, was just checking lines, and observed the valve. I might add it's rather impossible to get to if the valve needed any service.
RevengeFamily posted 04-27-2015 06:59 AM ET (US)     Profile for RevengeFamily  Send Email to RevengeFamily     
CSJ--I have a 1999 Boston Whaler 280 Conquest with similar through-hull fittings. The fittings on my Whaler are located in extremely obscure locations in the bilge. I believe this is due to the fact that, while being built, these through-hulls are installed before the top half of the hull is installed. It's much easier for the workers to build this way, but makes it extremely difficult for service once the boat is out in the real world. Once a year, before my boat gets wet, I become a contortionist, climb into the bilge to open and close these through-hulls. This way, I know, if I ever needed to close these valves on the open water, I can.


Jefecinco posted 04-27-2015 09:55 AM ET (US)     Profile for Jefecinco  Send Email to Jefecinco     
Some of those types of valves have a hole in the handle near the end. A sturdy rod can be fabricated to fit in the hole and allow the handle to be operated from a convenient location. If the handle lacks such a hole one can be added, although at some inconvenience.


Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.