Forum: WHALER
  ContinuousWave
  Whaler
  Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Whaler Performance
  Outboard market overview

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   Outboard market overview
linhans posted 10-12-2003 04:15 PM ET (US)   Profile for linhans   Send Email to linhans  
I found the following interesting figurers about the world outboard market in the Dutch Newspaper De Telegraaf. These figures were given in an article about the new Honda BF 150 outboard engine.

Market overview
The worldwide market for outboard engines in 2002 was about 770,000 pieces, divided over the US, Europe, Canada, Australia and Japan. The market share for 4-stroke motors is now 50%. The market of outboard motors stronger than 150HP, about 70,000 pieces per year, 88% is sold in the US. The other 12%, in the rest of the world. The European market for motors stronger than 150HP was nearly 6,600 pieces. This is 3,4% of the total European market in 2002 which was 191,000 pieces. In Italy, France, Greece, Spain, Sweden and Great Britain are 85% of the outboard engines stronger than 150HP been sold.
Honda is expecting that the market share of outboard motors over 150HP will increase due to an increase in demand caused by new ranges of four-stroke outboard motors which supply higher performance, with less fuel consumption, decreased noise level and are environment friendly.

Some calculation:
Total outboard market 770,000 pieces
Share 4-stroke 2-stroke: 390,000 pieces
European market share: 191,000, is approx. 25%
Total market for outboard engines over 150 HP: 70.000 pieces
(Which is only 10% of the total market)
88% is sold in the US: 61,600 pcs.
Rest of the world 12%: 8,400 pcs.
European market: 6,600 pcs.
Market in Italy, France, Greece, Spain, Sweden and Great Britain, 85%: 5,610 pcs.
Market for outboard motors over 150HP in the rest of Europe: 990 pcs.

My opinion:
As you may know, I live in the Netherlands. Seen in market share, the Netherlands is the part of the rest of Europe.
We pay about Eur. 1.15 for 1 liter of gas (this is approx. $ 1.35 per liter or $ 5.10 per gallon). I think this is one of the reasons that large HP Outboards are more of less rare in Holland.
So I think Honda is right, when larger outboard become more fuel efficient, they will become more popular.

What do you think?

jimh posted 10-14-2003 09:25 AM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
Many thanks for the interesting information regarding the outboard engine market.

Having a fuel cost greater than $5 per gallon certainly does have an effect on engine choice.

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:


Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.