Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Small Boat Electrical
  Dielectric Grease on Fuses

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   Dielectric Grease on Fuses
c level posted 12-17-2006 07:08 PM ET (US)   Profile for c level   Send Email to c level  
Is it possible to put a light coating of dielectric grease on the ends of fuses and the fuse box contacts to keep down corrosion? Or is it not recommended?
Chuck Tribolet posted 12-18-2006 01:55 AM ET (US)     Profile for Chuck Tribolet  Send Email to Chuck Tribolet     
I'd be asking why it's corroding. Where's the fuse box? Is
it good marine-grade stuff?

The one I installed in the console of my Montauk eight years
ago has zero corrosion, in spite of being on saltwater about
70 days a year.


jimh posted 12-18-2006 08:36 AM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
Dielectric grease is non-conductive.
Chuck Tribolet posted 12-18-2006 08:44 AM ET (US)     Profile for Chuck Tribolet  Send Email to Chuck Tribolet     
While it's nonconductive, dielectric grease gets pushed out of
the way so there's metal to metal contact, and since the grease
keeps oxygen away, you probably have a better contact long
term. But it's messy stuff, and I only use it where I have
to (bow and anchor lights).


c level posted 12-18-2006 09:41 AM ET (US)     Profile for c level  Send Email to c level     
The fuse box is under the console, my boat was made in the 70's and I'm sure its the original fuse box and the boat is in saltwater quite often. The box is the type that doesn't have a cover, so I'm planning on swapping out a nice waterproof box maybe next year.

I think what I'll do is put a very thin film of dielectric grease on the terminals and fuse ends, just wipe my fingers on it.

contender posted 12-18-2006 09:36 PM ET (US)     Profile for contender  Send Email to contender     
I think you will have more of a problem with the close box (humidity, and can't see the fuse) than an open fuse panel.
jimh posted 12-18-2006 09:49 PM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
A conductive grease like Penetrox-E or Penetrox-A is often used to promote good electrical connections in difficult environments.
jimh posted 12-18-2006 11:12 PM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
In my experience, dielectric grease is used with high-voltage spark plug rubber boots to keep the boots from becoming adhered to the spark plugs. Because of the high voltage involved, the grease is non-conductive.

My understanding of its use in spark plug boots is to keep the boot from becoming stuck to the plug, and also to keep any moisture out of the boot. But it is not there to help the electrical contact between the plug electrode tip and the boot connector. When I put dielectric grease on spark plugs and their boots, I take care to NOT get it on the electrical contact.

Chuck Tribolet posted 12-19-2006 08:50 AM ET (US)     Profile for Chuck Tribolet  Send Email to Chuck Tribolet     
Blue Sea Systems makes closed boxes with a clear lid and
downward facing wire entrances that allow ventilation. And
they don't corrode.


Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.