Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Small Boat Electrical
  Are some fishfinder transducers universal?

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   Are some fishfinder transducers universal?
pglein posted 10-31-2008 01:07 PM ET (US)   Profile for pglein   Send Email to pglein  
I have a transducer installed on my Whaler that came with a Garmin Fishfinder I bought years ago. As I'm looking to convert to all Raymarine electronics on my boat, I noticed that the transducers that are included with the used units I've been looking at on eBay appear to all be exactly the same. They are all listed as a a model number "P66". Though, as I look around, I see that same model number associated with a number of different brands. Was this same transducer used by a number of different companies? Is it likely that I could change fishfinders and not have to swap out my transducer? Are the plugs universal? If not, can you strip the plug and manually create some sort of adapter? Do they just put out a standard NMEA signal that can be tapped into any display unit?
K Albus posted 10-31-2008 01:22 PM ET (US)     Profile for K Albus  Send Email to K Albus     
P66 is the model number for a fairly common transducer produced by Airmar. See: asp?ProdID=48&Man=All&PageNo=91 .

If you follow the link and then click on Cross Reference Guide, you should see a list of several different sonar units that use the P66 transducer. You will also notice that there are several different connectors identified for the various brands.

K Albus posted 10-31-2008 01:25 PM ET (US)     Profile for K Albus  Send Email to K Albus     
Make sure to click on "Next Set of Records" near the bottom of the page to see all of the various brands that use the P66 transducer.

It appears that Garmin uses a different connector than Raymarine when using the P66.

pglein posted 10-31-2008 01:38 PM ET (US)     Profile for pglein  Send Email to pglein     

Thanks for the link. Although they do appear to use different plugs, I pulled up the wiring diagrams for each and it would appear that the wires coming into the plug are exactly the same. So, a person could conceivably create some sort of adapter.

Regardless, the unit I'm thinking of buying at this time includes the transducer, and I think it's easier to route a new one than to cut the old one apart.

Thanks again for your expertise!

jimh posted 10-31-2008 04:30 PM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
Rather than create an adaptor, try to purchase a field-installable connector to fit the new SONAR. Cut off the old connector on the transducer's cable, and install the new connector.

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.