Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Small Boat Electrical
  Photos of Stern Terminal Block

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   Photos of Stern Terminal Block
cinegamma posted 07-05-2010 10:32 PM ET (US)   Profile for cinegamma   Send Email to cinegamma  
My '84 Montauk is missing the original stern terminal block for the navigation light and combination side lights. Does anyone have any photos of the original configuration? Or suggestions for a better way? I have some small empty drill holes around the opening where the wires enter the hull heading to the combination side light. I need to re-do the wiring at the stern, as the wiring for the navigation light is connected with wire nuts.
jimh posted 07-06-2010 01:31 PM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
You can use any two-terminal terminal block. Digi-Key part number CBB-102-ND.
jimh posted 07-06-2010 01:34 PM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh name=CBB102-ND
cinegamma posted 07-06-2010 04:45 PM ET (US)     Profile for cinegamma  Send Email to cinegamma     
Thanks Jim. When I got the boat it also had a poorly attached brown cover (not enough room for the improper wire nuts that were used) over the wires at the stern. Was there supposed to be a cover over the original terminal block?
jimh posted 07-06-2010 08:43 PM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
I had a 1976 Boston Whaler. It did not have a cover over the terminal block at the stern for the navigation lighting. I have seen pictures of other boats where there was a cover in place.
jimh posted 07-07-2010 08:54 AM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
One further comment on the terminal block: in a marine application like this one, you want a terminal block that has the back side closed off. This will keep water out of the back side of the screw-in terminals. I am not sure if the SERIES 140 Cinch terminal block I mention above mets that criterion.
jimh posted 07-07-2010 08:56 AM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
If you cannot find a terminal block with the back side closed, you could always fill in the back side of the block with a bit of marine sealant. DO NOT use a sealant that leaches Acetic acid, like RTV, however, as it may cause more problems than the water it will keep out. Use a non-Acetic acid sealant like General Electric Silicone II.
contender posted 07-08-2010 02:46 PM ET (US)     Profile for contender  Send Email to contender     
cinegamma: If you have your heart set on a factory terminal block send me your address via my e mail and I will send you my old one. Mine is off a 1975 17 whaler. I do not know if it is what you are looking for, but I have redesigned my wiring and no longer use it.... Please tell me what the address is for Thanks

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.