Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Small Boat Electrical
  Rubber Boot For Toggle Switch

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   Rubber Boot For Toggle Switch
geohbennett posted 05-06-2014 10:36 AM ET (US)   Profile for geohbennett   Send Email to geohbennett  
[Note: the TOPIC line of this thread has been re-wirtten to reflect that actual topic, as determined after some discussion--jimh]

I'm looking to replace the ignition switch panel on my 1987 Montauk. The panel also has choke "flip" switch on it, the rubber cover has ripped off and is exposing the metal switch. I'm worried about moisture.
Any help on where I can source this product would be greatly appreciated.

jimh posted 05-06-2014 12:16 PM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
In 1987 a Boston Whaler boat was not sold with an engine pre-installed. The nature of the ignition switch will depend on the brand and model of engine you have. To get a replacement ignition switch, you will need to identify year and model of your engine.

Also, the "product" that is being sought for replacement is not clear. Do you seek:

--a Boston Whaler ignition switch panel,

--an outboard engine ignition switch specific to a particular engine that mounts on a panel, or

--a rubber cover for a switch on a panel of the type you call a "flip" switch?

Also, I am not clear on "flip switch." Do you mean a toggle switch with a momentary action?

geohbennett posted 05-09-2014 11:15 AM ET (US)     Profile for geohbennett  Send Email to geohbennett     
sorry, here is some more information that may be helpful. the boat is a 1987 montauk 17, motor a 1987 yamaha 90hp. I really just need the rubber cover for the choke toggle switch.
Tom W Clark posted 05-09-2014 11:31 AM ET (US)     Profile for Tom W Clark  Send Email to Tom W Clark     
The rubber cover does not appear to be available by itself but the OE choke switch, which includes the rubber cover, is available for a 1987 Yamaha 90:

jimh posted 05-09-2014 02:01 PM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
Toggle switches are often rather generic. You can probably find a rubber boot for a toggle switch from a switch manufacturer or from electronic suppliers, and for less than $43. For example: rubber+boot&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

geohbennett posted 05-12-2014 05:29 PM ET (US)     Profile for geohbennett  Send Email to geohbennett     
Tom, Jim-
Thanks to both of you for the assistance. I ordered the switch from yamaha and hope to install next weekend. Agree, a little pricey but trying to keep it all original.
jimh posted 05-12-2014 08:44 PM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
Yes, an OEM replacement part is often more expensive. I just priced a little push-button switch for the light in the oven; it was $34. But it has a very specific and unusual length bushing. Once you are working with a specialty switch, you are stuck with specialty prices. But most of those rubber toggle handle boots will fit, as long as the threads on the bushing are matching. I don't know if your Yamaha switch would have a metric thread on the bushing or not.

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.