Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Post-Classic Whalers
  16' Dauntless Question

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   16' Dauntless Question
Gigabite posted 03-08-2002 07:08 PM ET (US)   Profile for Gigabite   Send Email to Gigabite  
I have a 99 16' Dauntless. Any other owners have problems with gas overflowing while you are filling up? I am not talking about topping off the tank. I am not about immediately spilling out while you are filling up an empty tank.

Dick posted 03-08-2002 08:31 PM ET (US)     Profile for Dick  Send Email to Dick     
I was working for a Whaler dealer at the time but don't remember the details of the fix. The part number for the fix kit was 500-05104 and covered the 14, 16 & 18 Dauntless. All work was performed at Boston Whaler's expence. I again can't remember if this was a re-call or just a fix if there was a complaint.
Gigabite posted 03-08-2002 08:44 PM ET (US)     Profile for Gigabite  Send Email to Gigabite     
My dealer is telling me that since I am the second owner I have to pay $700 in labor costs.
whalerfran posted 03-08-2002 09:43 PM ET (US)     Profile for whalerfran    
You should not have to pay for the repair. The warranty transfers with the sale of the boat. Call BW customer service and ask them to reeducate your dealer so that he doesn't mistakenly double bill for the repair.
Dick posted 03-08-2002 09:52 PM ET (US)     Profile for Dick  Send Email to Dick     
That's hard to believe, depending on the labor rate that relates to a 6 to 8 hour job.
I would think that Whaler would cover it even though you are the second owner. Sounds like your dealer is $$$$hungry.
Gigabite posted 03-08-2002 09:53 PM ET (US)     Profile for Gigabite  Send Email to Gigabite     
The dealer said it was a 10 hour job at $70/hour.

I thought the warranty would transfer especially since I filled out the warranty transfer card that originally came with it.

B Bear posted 03-09-2002 11:30 AM ET (US)     Profile for B Bear  Send Email to B Bear     
I believe that the warrenty is for the hull. I would also imagine that the fix is covered by Boston Whaler as a recall. Check the Coast Gaurd site for the recall, this problem will cause "oil spills" if fueled at a gas dock and will not be taken lightly so a required fix (recall) should be in place and cost you nothing reguardless which number of owners you are.
B Bear posted 03-09-2002 11:38 AM ET (US)     Profile for B Bear  Send Email to B Bear     
That should be "oil/fuel spills".
B Bear posted 03-09-2002 01:06 PM ET (US)     Profile for B Bear  Send Email to B Bear     
My guess is this was this recall:

Manufacturer's Identification Code BWC Details for Recall Number 980053T

There was a recall from the Manufacturer's Identification Code (MIC) BWC for the model water vehicle with the Hull Identification Number (HIN) number of BWC.......... It was assigned the recall number 980053T and the disposition of this recall is CLOSED. The model and recall is mainly represented by the company BOSTON WHALER INC. The case opened on 4/8/98 and the case closed on 5/31/00. The campaign opened on 4/9/98 and the campaign closed on 5/31/00. There was one problem with this model. The problem was FUEL TANK. There were 318 unit(s) involved. The recall has been given a High level of Severity. There were additional comments pertaining to this recall: 980408 MANUFACTURER CALLED; 980409 SENT FORMS. EXPANDING FUEL VENTS INTO MOTORWELL. ADDING EXPANSION TANK. DNR RCVD 980505. 980714 CUR 1 RCVD. 981014 CUR 2 RCVD. 990115 CUR 3 RCVD. 990428 CUR 4 RCVD. 990623 SENT MORE FORMS. 990721 CUR 5 RCVD. 991116 CUR 6 RCVD. 000222 CUR 7 RCVD. 000531 CUR 8 RCVD..

If it was the recall you will need to contact Boston Whaler and state the situation with your fill, they should address it for you.

Data | Narrative

B Bear posted 03-09-2002 01:10 PM ET (US)     Profile for B Bear  Send Email to B Bear     
Sometimes I need to look a little better at things..... the dates don't seem to match, I do recall that Boston Whaler was aware of this problen with the vent in the fuel fill and had a fix for it, just check with BW.
B Bear posted 03-09-2002 02:31 PM ET (US)     Profile for B Bear  Send Email to B Bear     
Here is a good place to start a letter writing campain. I saw your post on the Hull Truth and the replies. This will make it a manufacturers recall by the Dept of Transportantion - Coast Gaurd.

Boat Owner's Report - Possible Safety Defect Overview
For the Coast Guard to investigate a consumer complaint about a defect it must:

Relate to a boat or associated equipment less than five years old.
Be a violation of Federal Regulations, or:
Be safety related, that is be "a defect that creates a substantial risk of personal injury to the public."
Occur substantially without warning.
The Coast Guard evaluates each consumer complaint on a case-by-case basis. If we determine it is a substantial risk defect, then we contact the manufacturer of the boat or associated equipment and notify them of our preliminary findings. The manufacturer then has thirty days to rebut our findings or to begin to correct the problem. If they rebut our findings and we agree with them, we close the case. If we determine it is a substantial risk defect, we can then require them to:

Determine what boats have the defect.
Notify first purchasers of the defect and its consequences.
Notify first purchasers how the defect will be corrected.
Undertake to correct the defect.
If the manufacturer has in good faith offered to correct the problem and the consumer refuses the offer, then the Coast Guard will take no further action and close the file. Also, if the manufacturer has corrected the problem and the consumer is not satisfied, even though the problem is corrected, the Coast Guard will take no further action.

The Coast Guard has no authority to require a manufacturer to:

Give the consumer a new boat.
Refund the consumer's money.
Get involved in a civil suit between the consumer and the manufacturer.
Warranty Problems: For problems not considered a substantial risk defect, contact one of the following:

The State Consumer Protection Agency (usually in the State Attorney General's Office)
The Federal Trade Commission (for information about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975) 202-326-3650
Consumer Protection Bureau 703-461-2856 (For members of BOAT/U.S.)

Gigabite posted 03-09-2002 09:55 PM ET (US)     Profile for Gigabite  Send Email to Gigabite     
B Bear...Thanks! That is some great info!
Gigabite posted 03-11-2002 06:59 PM ET (US)     Profile for Gigabite  Send Email to Gigabite     
Called Whaler at 9:00 this a.m. Receptionist said that she would have to take a message and that someone from customer service would call me right back. Guess return phone call. Is this type of service typical?
Gigabite posted 03-12-2002 03:35 PM ET (US)     Profile for Gigabite  Send Email to Gigabite     
I spoke to the folks out at Sea Island Marine in Beaufort, SC. They are about an hour drive from where I live in Charleston. They spoke to Whaler and they are going to cover the parts and labor under warrantee. Yes they are a little out of the way but I don't mind driving a few extra miles for great customer service. I still don't understand why the first dealer wanted me to pay for the labor, but at least Whaler was able to come through in the end.
B Bear posted 03-12-2002 04:28 PM ET (US)     Profile for B Bear  Send Email to B Bear     
Well that is good news, it renews my faith in Boston Whaler the company. It is a wonderful feeling that you have something that is truely backed by the manufacturer.

You know the dealers are rated by customer satifaction surveys which in turn determine the rate at which they will get paid for warrenty work. Maybe the first dealer you talked to did not rate well and is in a spiral downward in customer service, Boston Whaler should re-evaluate that dealer to see if they are worth keeping as a dealer.

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.